Author Topic: Looking Back #6 - Bonzai  (Read 4914 times)

Offline PtRvY

• WH Crew
  • Veteran Member
  • Wasteland Hero / BT Member
    • View Profile
Looking Back #6 - Bonzai
« on: August 13, 2011, 04:27:11 PM »
Well, the SASL is over and, as promised, this series is kickstarted. I'm hoping to focus less on the personal reviews and make some interviews with the creators just like I'm doing right now. If you guys support this idea then I'll keep it that way for the upcoming reviews as well.

In the 6th installment of the Looking Back series after a 2 month long hiatus, we'll be looking back at a very impressive best of released in mid-2009: Streem's Bonzai.

This video seems like a joint production, since as much hard work Streem put into landing those stunts over the years, Dogger backed up with one of the most impressive looking editings of the year. The video features few really big standouts stuntwise like the finisher, the taxi precision and some others you'll probably find scattered throughout. But it's the big "teamwork" between the stunter and editor that seems to made this video stand out, it feels like every stunt was given a proper cam angle that shows it off in the best way possible, and it was all tuned in perfectly to the amazing music. In my opinion, a video which truly potrays the artistic side of stunting and how everything we do as stunters can be counted as some form of art.

I won't say much more and let you watch the video - you can find out more about it from the interview I conducted with Streem himself below.

Nominations:
- 3rd Best SA Video 2009
- 4th Best SA Solo 2009
- 7th Best SA Stunt 2009 (Finisher)
- (Dogger) 7th Best Editor 2009

Bonzai

Interview with Streem:

PtR: "First of all, thank you Milosz for taking the time out to talk about your best of with me. For starters, I'd like to know how important was this video for you and do you feel like you accomplished something with it."
Str: "The pleasure is mine. It was a big achievement in my stunting career, my first solo, edited by the guy who was with me from the very beginning, it kinda ended my 'noobish' career, I was happy to get it released."

PtR: "'From the very beginning' seems to be the right choice of words - I recall when I started out on GTAS in early 2008 seeing you wearing a signature: 'BONZAI COMING SOON'. Do you feel the video was in the works for too long and were you bothered by it at any moment?"
Str: "When I put on that signature I didn't even talk to Dogger about that project, it was some kind of commercial move to bring some attention, I guess. Our conversation happened few months later, I felt such a relief that he agreed. I knew that his projects used to take considerable time and I got used to it so it wasn't really a problem, especially when the video was a 'best of' with already released stunts. When I finally sent him the pack I felt like, 'that's a closed chapter, time to move on' and joined SS, the editing took him about 6-7 months as I can recall."

PtR: "That clarifies it. Let's move on to the video itself - many people I've talked to about it said that two things stand out and make it special: the editing&music combination and the finisher. Do you beg to differ? Is there some other aspect of this video you feel makes it stand out from the masses?"
Str: "Dogger produced a real masterpiece, I couldn't expect anything better. I have to agree that the things you mentioned were standouts for the watchers, but there were a few other special things for me. First one was definitely the intro itself, the music and… the final part where the title appears, when I first saw it I got a feeling which might be compared to an orgasm, it happens in some videos and I'm glad I had it here as well. The other thing that stood out for me has to be the double boost to the chimney precision, it brings great memories of Blood Hood, probably one of the best videos where I appeared."

PtR: "Now that you mention it - the intro really was impressive. Though it is kinda confusing that it misleads the watcher into thinking it's a VC video. Seeing SA&VC combined is not an uncommon idea but the distribution in your video is. What made you opt for this unusual choice of adding two VC stunts?"
Str: "VC is the game where I started stunting, even though I wasn't really good there I had a few stunts which could be used. Actually I sent him a lot more than these two but he said that the others totally sucked and weren't worth using. About the intro, I had no idea how it was gonna look, the whole concept of it was the bonsai tree, I noticed that it appears in LC and that's how we came up with that idea."

PtR: "Let's keep talking about the video - this time I'm interested in the music choices. They were certainly great, and I'd like to know how much part you've taken in choosing them. Was it all Dogger's decision or did you suggest any of them? And what's your opinion on all of them combined, do you feel like they blend nicely together?"
Str: "To be honest I was certain that Kacper is gonna use one of the Prodigy songs, that's what I suggested at the very beginning, I found out about the actual soundtrack after watching the video. My feelings were mixed but I re-watched it a few times and I realized how epic it is, alternative rock plus electronic, who could've known that it would fit so well."

PtR: "Could you give us the impressions you had when you landed the finisher? I'm sure the feeling was immense."
Str: "I don't think I felt anything special, I knew that it was a great combo but I didn't realize how good was it until I showed it to Skamer and later while I was reading comments about the PKS video."

PtR: "And, for a fitting ending - do you feel like this is your peak? Is this the best Streem action in SA we will see? And something I've wanted to ask for a while now, would it be likely to see a "Bonzai 2" some day?"
Str: "I think that I can do much more than it was shown in Bonzai, even though the stunting level wasn't high I'm still proud of every stunt which I landed, no matter how bad did it look. At the moment I'm working on two projects, hopefully at least one of them will be released this year. I don't know if you've noticed but I was already wearing Bonzai 2 signature, I guess that's a good clue  :cc_detective: ."

PtR: "Sounds awesome, thank you for your time."
Str: "No problem, thank you for the interview."

Offline Trialz

• GTA V <3
  • Veteran Member
  • Beep beep beep!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Looking Back #6 - Bonzai
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 06:03:38 PM »
It was great on the 2nd part on how it was so much in sync. Great vid :a-cheer:

Online Herb

• Nothingness
  • Veteran Member
  • I'm not living in Heaven, I'm living in Hell.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 06:59:09 PM »
Good editing on the vid, garbage stunter though.  :)

Offline Veno

• ForbiddenElement.
  • Veteran Member
  • This sentance is a lie.
    • View Profile
    • Venomous`s YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 08:50:46 PM »
Good editing on the vid, garbage stunter though.  :)
tottaly true, the only good thing was editing, Petar why the hell you made a review about this vid?!
i'm dissapoint..

Offline PtRvY

• WH Crew
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 02:16:42 AM »
tottaly true, the only good thing was editing, Petar why the hell you made a review about this vid?!
i'm dissapoint..
You can dislike the person now all that you want, doesn't change the fact that this video is great (the fact it was nominated for several awards pretty much proves my point). Even only for the editing itself you probably can't deny it still is enjoyable.
(+ Streem is my friend so I can't say I dislike him, no matter what he did/will do)

I'll be reviewing a video I'm sure you'll like more next Sunday  :).
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 02:19:55 AM by PtRvY »

Offline 灰野 敬二

• 加爾基 精液 栗ノ花
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 02:25:06 AM »
Nominations:
- 3rd Best SA Video 2009
- 4th Best SA Solo 2009

I'll never understand how people are voting on GTAS.

Offline PtRvY

• WH Crew
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 02:27:11 AM »
Nominations:
- 3rd Best SA Video 2009
- 4th Best SA Solo 2009

I'll never understand how people are voting on GTAS.
I might have an explanation for that.

For the best solo, people who voted on Coperation / Swastika for the best solo then voted for Megaton / Onslaught for the best video (WH & WH).

I reckon the ones who voted Bonzai for best solo also voted it for the best video :P

Offline 灰野 敬二

• 加爾基 精液 栗ノ花
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 02:53:18 AM »
I guess so, but it still looks pretty retarded.

Offline Dogger

• Veteran Member
  • Beyond Tommorow 2011
    • View Profile
    • Romanesko Official Website
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 03:36:08 AM »
Quote from: Streem
"...the editing took him about 6-7 months as I can recall."

:D Gathering force to edit this video took me 6-7 months :P

And I actually remember how much I was proud of second part of this video. And btw. I think, it was my first try to script something little bit longer than few seconds :)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 03:40:44 AM by Dogger »

Offline SnowMan

• Veteran Member
  • Life is what you make it
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 03:51:06 AM »
DAmn this video brings back old feelings :D

Such an great video, the first song is like fucking awesome, and the editing to it was just perfect, a real masterpiece. I feel honored that I'am in this video with a sucky guest stunt.
We had a great time on CS:S milo you noob :D :lol:

Offline Veno

• ForbiddenElement.
  • Veteran Member
  • This sentance is a lie.
    • View Profile
    • Venomous`s YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2011, 10:01:09 AM »
i'm dissapoint..
You can dislike the person now all that you want, doesn't change the fact that this video is great (the fact it was nominated for several awards pretty much proves my point). Even only for the editing itself you probably can't deny it still is enjoyable.
(+ Streem is my friend so I can't say I dislike him, no matter what he did/will do)

I'll be reviewing a video I'm sure you'll like more next Sunday  :).

and i'm pretty sure, that's why you made this review.
anyway, i hope next sunday will be more promising :]

Offline Artifex

• Artifex
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 10:34:11 AM »
Streem  :cheersad:
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 10:38:12 AM by Artifex »

Offline FELIX

• formerly known as Flava and cloudwalker
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 03:49:08 PM »
Streem is a real nice guy and sooo deserves this topic.

Editing was sick. A few awesome stunts, a few oldies, a few lame ones.

Als oh look an old convo:

Love you Streem! (Adding Streem into your name doesn't make you a Stream)

Douchebag

Offline Sheep

• Nice Guy
  • Scapegoat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 11:44:12 PM »
:wub:

Offline Reynard The Fox

• Reynolds
    • View Profile