Author Topic: Blast From The Past: Rakish  (Read 3562 times)

Offline m3rrix

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Blast From The Past: Rakish
« on: January 21, 2011, 07:11:20 AM »
First of all I want to thank Daffy for taking over from me while I was back home in Australia for the holidays. I think his selections were top notch and if he's keen, I'm happy for him to post regularly to this column. So without any further ado, here's this week's blast from the past.

The 2006 bike collab between kert and kr3mlin, Rakish, was uploaded to GTAS not long before the forums went down in mid-2006. Consequently I feel that the video never really got the attention that it deserved.

kr3mlin and kert were at this point in GTA stunting really pushing the boundaries of what was possible in SA – showing that things were indeed different than in the VC engine, but different in a good way. Bikes, while an obvious example, had only previously been popular for natural bumps. That all changed with Rakish. With a wide variety of stunts, kert and kr3m really showcased what the bike was truly capable of; using both the BMX and mountain bike in grind combos, grabs and big airs. (I could be wrong but I think this was also the first video to include that strange roof-grab-to-precision bug that always seemed so popular at TMS.)

The pace of a bike video necessitates something a bit different from the editor. This is the kind of challenge that kr3mlin relishes and he seized it with characteristic flair, electing to use a hip-hop soundtrack and a slow swipe for transitions within stunts. While not always popular at the time, kr3mlin’s work has come to have a long lasting influence on editors like Warow, who share kr3mlin’s objective to break with the GTAS mold.

Rakish is a stylishly edited bike collab between two of the big names in early SA stunting.

Rakish

‘this vid kicked mucho asso’ – RAD
‘lots of sick stuff, definately a keeper’ – Eddeman
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 07:16:59 AM by m3rrix »

Offline RedX

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Blast From The Past: Rakish
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 07:15:09 AM »
This was one of the "Further Viewing" suggestions from a previous blast from the past, so I checked it out then ^^

Fucking awesome video

Offline Ghost

• call me mr bedrock I can make your flinstone
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 07:55:10 AM »
When I wrote my BFTP it was a toss up between this video and Overwatch. It thoroughly deserves one of its own :)

Offline Reynard The Fox

• Reynolds
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 09:09:50 AM »
Never been fond of bike only videos, nice read  :mellow:

Offline Dimension

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 10:05:23 AM »
i like this topics cause you help that this
awesome videos will never be forgotten :happy:

Offline Laketown

• Veteran Member
  • the impostress
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 10:23:22 AM »
his choices were great until his posted a modded video and then took it down straight after.

also still wanna write one of these

Offline VaNilla

• next week m9
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 11:43:32 AM »
Remember this inspiring me to try bicycle stunting a long time ago, :D

Offline ExPlosion

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 01:22:51 PM »
Such a wonderful video, I watched it a few times times while stunting for my solo and even now it was inspiring  :).

Offline NuclearDeath

• TMS Member
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 01:37:50 PM »
Bikes, while an obvious example, had only previously been popular for natural bumps. That all changed with Rakish.

I strongly disagree, both of them showed a lot of creativity with bicycles in the respective crew, this video is just a beautiful bonus.

Anyway, as much as I love stunting and creativity maybe you should try to change your approach. Those blast from the past are always about how a stunter shows unique stuff while everybody else on the forum is just a sheep bumping without thinking. It's more complicated than that...

Still, I love this video a lot. They are both true inspirations.

Offline __JREN

• Beyond Tomorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 06:09:44 PM »
olllld schoool!  :wub:

Offline m3rrix

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 11:56:07 PM »
Anyway, as much as I love stunting and creativity maybe you should try to change your approach. Those blast from the past are always about how a stunter shows unique stuff while everybody else on the forum is just a sheep bumping without thinking. It's more complicated than that...

I simplify because: I don't know the truth, I can't remember the truth and because it makes for a good story. I hope no one believes that I am an authority figure on all this.

Offline Rainbow

• Coeur de taxi
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/Rainbowstunting
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 03:14:02 AM »
Awesome video  :)

Offline Shifftee

• Shiff
  • SASL 2014 Judges
  • Retired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, 04:10:43 AM »
Now that's what I call classic!  :euro:

Offline TrYp

• Veteran Member
  • X
    • View Profile
    • http://sampforum.hu
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2011, 04:21:41 AM »
Was a great watch. :)

Offline RAD

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2011, 04:14:13 AM »
McBump.

At the time of it's release, Rakish only recieved a luke-warm reception from watches, both for being a 100% pedal-powered video, and because of the soundtrack from Damian Marley, but I loved both aspects... I was kind of hoping the boys would shoot for a sequel, or it'd even inspire a following of similar vids in the was that infested did with his grenade boosting.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal