Author Topic: Community Project: Game  (Read 4022 times)

Offline JayFoxRox

• View Profile
    • Homepage
Community Project: Game
« on: December 29, 2006, 11:25:45 AM »
No Programming skills are needed! I m starting from Zero!

Ok, this is serious, when you don't like the idea just go away.

I m planning to do this as a kind of tutorial. The main objective of the project is to have a LITTLE (don't expect Half-Life 3) game at the end made 99.99% by this community.

I m not sure how long the holidays still are. But at the end of them i would like to have a atleast a little demo. This means everyone should try to help.
I know we have modelers in this forum, we have great GFX/Music artists, we have some math talents and we even have a few coders.

Rules

- No negative comments about idea of others
- Ask when you don't understand something
[more to come]

How we are going to do it?
This is a good question , i try to explain things in posts and you can simply ask for things you dont understand. We start at zero, every1 should give some ideas on what game we could make, after that i will write some code (which is not perfect maybe, each code will be released as a part/lesson) and post it in this thread, in the end you should know how the programming language works with the code and maybe you can even improve my code.
Please Remember: We do simple stuff, when giving ideas i recommend to not make a Simulation for cars or something, Cars require alot of physics for example. Also RPG's are nearly impossible to make with DarkBasic, Alot of objects would need to be controlled by the PC so its hard to make. When you are unsure about how hard it is to make somethign just mention it and i will look at it.

Programming language
Ha, thought long about this. First i thought VB would be cool. But then i saw that it might be to complex for a beginner. So we use a Really High Level language (Which means its based on tons of other languages , we have premade commands, ...). In this case its DarkBasic Pro. DarkBasic is slow, you can't load any GTA models at FPS>300. but that doesn't matter to us. Our target is to understand programming, not having a Extremly well 3D Engine.

All Tools I m going to use are either Free or have 30 day Trials which shouldnt be a big problem!

------------------------------

Ok, i m goin to watch some tv now, when i m back we should have some ideas (or even some questions  )

btw: When this project should be an success (i doubt it ) we will have one of the following options:

a. Port to Visual Basic using DirectX => Adding Multiplayer
b. Port to PSP using sceGU => Adding AdHoc Multiplayer

And maybe something else.

Collected Ideas (Round 1: Game type)

Fox:
Racing Game > Hovercrafts
Little Shooter Game > Sniper is on a tower (bot), player has to run towards the tower to place a bomb on it
Pakour Game > Probably hard to make. Only simple actions
Plane Game > Stunting, Flying under bridges etc, flying airshows with bots etc (MY FAVOURITE!)

Linkdk
Snake

ShadowSniper
Launcher > You have roofs to get to and things like walls etc. just floating about.
The objective of the game it to launch into these things, then the physics bounces you off them, collide off other things and land on the roof, there could be various things to bounce off till you land on it. Control when to launch, and the power with the mouse. You can fly a little to the left/right with A/D. Use your brain to work out what will happen and see the results. Possible?
Hide And Seek > Hide And Seek

Decision: Launcher by ShadowSniper

Collected Ideas (Round 2: What do we need (formulas, models, media, ..))

Orange Items Are Needed
Green Items Are Done/Finished ready for use!
White Items Are Optional

- Map Loader (Fox)
- Collision System (Fox)
- Animation Loader (Fox)
- Menu Grahpics (Fox)
- Sounds: Environment, Player Voice, Launcher sounds (Fox)
- Models for: Houses, Launcher, Player, Cars on streets? (Fox)
- Good Skymap and Skybox (Fox)
- Physics for Player (Fox)
- Smoke Trails after Shots - Mario 64 like when comming out of a cannon (Fox)
- Basic Map Editor (Fox)
- Animation Editor (Fox)
- Single Player Missions (Fox)
- Minigames (Fox)

= Hard
= Easy
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 03:04:09 AM by Fox »

Offline Glen1992

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2006, 11:38:48 AM »
This sounds like a good idea, i would like to join in i havent got any previous experince but i wanna help out sounds like a cool idea

PS: i like the plane idea
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 11:41:55 AM by Glen1992 »

Offline VaNilla

• next week m9
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2006, 11:46:34 AM »
Im good at maths . Im good for it if you like, what about a game of hide and seek? Simple but fun.

Offline Glen1992

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2006, 11:48:54 AM »
Oh i forgot to mention i do some GFX im not great but ill have a go at doing some stuff. hide n side sounds pretty fun aswel.

Offline Greendead

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2006, 11:57:18 AM »
I' m good at stunting, english, spelling...

but seriously, this is a good idea.  I don't understand the codes very well, though.  But I'm good in GFX.  

(For scripters, ask Fugitive)
(For Modelling and mapping, ask Nitzkit) Nitzkit probably isn't modelling, but I don't know...

I like that parkour idea.

Offline JayFoxRox

• View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2006, 02:27:22 PM »
okies i m back. as i said, no problem when you dont know anything about coding, i m going to explain.

The idea of hide and seek seems to be good and simple. but not for programming
I will try to make it understandable for you.

We have an player object, Green
We have another object to be spotted, Blue
and we have some walls, Red
PLUS
the field of view of our player, Yellow

What we could do is send out little dots all the time, but this would be hard to programm (not that hard but not easy either) and would take ALOT of cpu usage.

Greendead:
We can't just say - heya scripter, modeler, mapper, ...
Our game is made from ground up, we have no code for loading any scripts, there is no code for loading maps.
We will write our own map loader. Though scripts are depending on the game we are going to make. But for now this would be to complex. Hardcoding (all code in the exe - no script files) should be ok.

btw:
Scripting is having an external file getting loaded running besides the hardcoded stuff. So you can structurize your application/game.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 02:30:19 PM by Fox »

Offline VaNilla

• next week m9
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2006, 02:33:56 PM »
Awww hide and seek would have been fun .
New idea
Launcher
You have roofs to get to and things like walls etc. just floating about.
The objective of the game it to launch into these things, then the physics bounces you off them, collide off other things and land on the roof, there could be various things to bounce off till you land on it. Control when to launch, and the power with the mouse. You can fly a little to the left/right with A/D. Use your brain to work out what will happen and see the results. Possible?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 02:38:32 PM by Shadowsniper »

Offline Link

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2006, 02:39:09 PM »
What about Snake ?

Offline Spoofy

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2006, 02:40:48 PM »
I like this idea, but will this be pulled off? I mean yes we'll all chip in a little, but as good as this sounds I am afraid it won't pick up. The Hide N Seek game would of been fun indeed, but a Le Parkour game sounds even more cooler. I can't really imagine the process of making though.

Offline JayFoxRox

• View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2006, 02:58:18 PM »
Linkdk: A bit more complex please  Snake would take us about 10 minutes..

The idea of ShadowSniper seems really interesting.
That could work out pretty good when we get some mario style into it i think

But for now i still think a Plane Stunt game would be the coolest.
Thanks for all your interests btw

Offline VaNilla

• next week m9
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2006, 03:06:25 PM »
Better draft of game is here, not all ideas are easy to make, but lets see how it goes .
LAUNCHER

The name of my game is launcher, a flexible concept, with hundreds of possibilities thanks to the exciting map system for the game. The objective of the game, is to launch your human self into objects, control physics, taxing your mind to make your ideas work, to land on a target, maybe inside a bin, or on top of a plane? The possibilities are endless.
You can lean at objects you want to collide with, objects you want to pull with you to get a up/downthrust off an object, get through small tubes for speed boosts with precision. Loops, but also loops to catch you out to make you learn from your mistakes, for example you might have to lean off the top of a loop so you don’t go the whole way, and collide into something next to the loop, landing you on a roof. In this game there is no HUD to confuse the player. There is a red design on your back showing distance left, closer it is to top closer YOU are to the top. Or maybe bottom? Who knows…. One other cool idea is, to have similtaneuos building to launching. One player builds for another to reach the target randomly given.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2006, 03:41:31 PM by Shadowsniper »

Offline JayFoxRox

• View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2006, 07:34:40 AM »
Ok its time to decide what idea we use. Just look into the first post and choose ONE of them.
Just do a post like the following with your choice:

I Want to do "Plane Game" (Idea by Fox)

this is my decision.
When we have atleast 3 votes i will start and explain some basics of programming (Spinning Cube, Waving Cube, "Clock") and round 2

Offline Link

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2006, 07:38:45 AM »
Ye snake is good to start with ?

Offline JayFoxRox

• View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2006, 08:37:43 AM »
as i said, its a bit to easy. though i can show you how to make snake after the other game we do. i added it to the first post cause its an idea. when 95% would vote for it i would do that one. but i think:

- snake in 3D is weird, would be better in 2D cause its dot based
- snake should be pretty easy to make, depends on what technique you use (will explain these later)

So, i wouldnt really recommend hide and seek + snake

Offline VaNilla

• next week m9
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2006, 08:43:50 AM »
I vote Launcher .

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal