Author Topic: Anime discussion  (Read 147092 times)

Offline Simon

• Admin
  • aka Darkstar
    • View Profile
Re: Anime discussion
« Reply #165 on: March 25, 2012, 06:44:35 PM »
Can't really say anything about naruto as I haven't watched shippuden.

Started wathing AnoHana, and I must say it really caught me off-guard. The characters are really believable and the story is intriguing. I've watched 4 episodes now, and I can only say that I won't be sleeping tonight. After each episode I just want to see how it progresses,  don't know why I just feel like I'm being pulled in. I haven't cried yet, but we'll see. Thanks for recommending, really.

E: I was right about not sleeping, and as for crying, Last. Fucking. Scene.
Beautiful.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 09:13:35 PM by Simon »

Offline A maid

• Creator of Worlds
  • Defenestration penetration.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: March 26, 2012, 12:00:33 AM »
If only they would make more anime like AnoHana when it comes to drama(-ish) anime.. I don't think anime will get any better than it was in 2010/early 2011.

Offline 灰野 敬二

• 加爾基 精液 栗ノ花
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 26, 2012, 12:22:40 AM »
Simon :lol:

AnoHana made me cry three times, the ending the most when she started to fade out and they all started reading her notes.

Offline Simon

• Admin
  • aka Darkstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: March 26, 2012, 12:37:09 AM »
It was good, but I'm not sure if I'm liking the ghost girl idea. If they could make a similar drama, with similar setting/environment, something about it felt like it could have happened yesterday. While other dramas like Clannad, Kimi ga nozomu eien and Kanon felt like they were set in the 1990's. the fact that AnoHana feels and probably is set in 2011 makes me feel more at home or it feels like I relate more to the characters, but the supernatural element kind of pushes the story back.. I still loved it though.

For some reason I really cared for Anaru. She was probably the person I cared most for in the anime, and I'm sure the ones of you that has seen it favorited a character as well. In which case, which and why? :>

Offline A maid

• Creator of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 26, 2012, 12:46:11 AM »
I watched it when it was still airing so I can't really remember the characters well, but Jinta was my fav male character. Obviously Menma's my fav female character, she just has something lovable about herself.

Also when you guys watch anime, do you let yourself get dragged into the story, characters, atmosphere, environment, etc. or do you focus on doing so? It might be that I'm not really "sucked" into the story, so I've not really been enjoying the last two seasons of anime as I have been before, but it might just be crappy-mediocre anime I've been watching.

Offline 灰野 敬二

• 加爾基 精液 栗ノ花
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: March 26, 2012, 12:54:45 AM »
I usually focus on everything for the first two episodes or so then I get sucked in automatically, but there are exceptions.

Offline Simon

• Admin
  • aka Darkstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: March 26, 2012, 01:05:09 AM »
Also when you guys watch anime, do you let yourself get dragged into the story, characters, atmosphere, environment, etc. or do you focus on doing so? It might be that I'm not really "sucked" into the story, so I've not really been enjoying the last two seasons of anime as I have been before, but it might just be crappy-mediocre anime I've been watching.
That's usually why I don't watch airing anime, the gap between the episodes leaves a gap. So it's harder to get in to, of course anime like Nichibros are an exception because there isn't really much to get in to. but I usually have to weekend marathon dramas to have them affect me. Usually I'll get dragged in to it, but rarely fast. Again that's why it helps marathoning it.

Offline Noah

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #172 on: March 26, 2012, 02:02:29 AM »
One thing I can't bring myself to comprehend is why you guys watch so much anime when there is such a vast number of japanese/chinese movies which are absolutely brilliant. Battle Royale for one, I believe you've all seen it?

It seems most followers of anime base their interest around asian culture in general, wouldn't it be more logical to watch some old classics instead of this new age anime crap? Not saying it's all bad, just pointing out that most of it is absolutely horrible, and if it had been western people wouldn't think it was so kawaii or whatever the fuck people say lol. Maybe the many weaboos have gotten under my skin, but it seems to me that 'anime' is something many cling onto to belong to something/somewhere and is used as an excuse to brand bad stuff as "art".

So are the majority of anime-fans fucked in the head or are there just the bad apples in the bunch taking things too far?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 02:04:49 AM by NOAHofDEATH »

Offline Simon

• Admin
  • aka Darkstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: March 26, 2012, 02:38:43 AM »
I'll wait until someone better with words can explain.

But I've always preferred Animation over Live action.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 02:43:44 AM by Simon »

Offline 灰野 敬二

• 加爾基 精液 栗ノ花
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: March 26, 2012, 04:35:19 AM »
One thing I can't bring myself to comprehend is why you guys watch so much anime when there is such a vast number of japanese/chinese movies which are absolutely brilliant. Battle Royale for one, I believe you've all seen it?

First of all: how do you know we haven't watched hundreds of japanese and chinese movies (I know I did) and now we started watching anime as well?

And Battle Royale is mediocre. If you want some real good asian movies check these if you haven't yet: 3-iron, Mother, Chungking Express, Love Exposure, Poetry, Oldboy, Seven Samurai, A Dirty Carnival, Kung Fu Hustle, The Host, Memories of Murder, In the Mood for Love, I Saw The Devil, Fearless etc.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 05:26:21 AM by 灰野 敬二 »

Offline A maid

• Creator of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 26, 2012, 06:17:27 AM »

It seems most followers of anime base their interest around asian culture in general, wouldn't it be more logical to watch some old classics instead of this new age anime crap? Not saying it's all bad, just pointing out that most of it is absolutely horrible, and if it had been western people wouldn't think it was so kawaii or whatever the fuck people say lol. Maybe the many weaboos have gotten under my skin, but it seems to me that 'anime' is something many cling onto to belong to something/somewhere and is used as an excuse to brand bad stuff as "art".

So are the majority of anime-fans fucked in the head or are there just the bad apples in the bunch taking things too far?
I bet you didn't even try actually watching anime. It's kinda siimilar to the shit with MLP, but I won't drag that subject into this topic.

That's usually why I don't watch airing anime, the gap between the episodes leaves a gap. So it's harder to get in to, of course anime like Nichibros are an exception because there isn't really much to get in to. but I usually have to weekend marathon dramas to have them affect me. Usually I'll get dragged in to it, but rarely fast. Again that's why it helps marathoning it.
Yeah that's true but you can also look at it this way: you take your time getting used, and getting to know the characters and everything. If you finish something in 2 days you barely have time to process your affection for the series/characters, but it depends on the anime and your taste, really.

Offline Simon

• Admin
  • aka Darkstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: March 26, 2012, 07:39:49 AM »
Yeah that's true but you can also look at it this way: you take your time getting used, and getting to know the characters and everything. If you finish something in 2 days you barely have time to process your affection for the series/characters, but it depends on the anime and your taste, really.
There are certain Anime that you shouldn't marathon, like Mushishi and Kino no Tabi. I marathoned Kino, and I'm regretting it. At the end I had gotten tired of the main character even though she is awesome. I did not marathon Mushishi, and I'm glad I didn't. I think you're right in saying it depends on the anime. Certain anime you just get so caught up in you have to just watch it all, others you might find it best not too. It's your choice really. 

Offline Stella-chan

• Lets play onii-chan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: March 26, 2012, 10:17:17 AM »

Nothing has been stopping me from watching Japanese/Chinese live action movies. This also goes for other "anime fans". Those who don't? I don't know, maybe its about priorities. You don't have time for everything. Especially when you have an anime backlog of 500 titles or more.

It seems most followers of anime base their interest around asian culture in general
Enjoying Japanese exported media =/= obsessed with Japan. I don't give a shit about Japan as a country and its culture, really. Especially when anime titles I like don't sell, while those I hate sell really good. Japanese people have shit taste.

wouldn't it be more logical to watch some old classics instead of this new age anime crap?
Anime have "classics" too. Ghost in the Shell, Galaxy Express 999, Boku no Pico, Gundam, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Akira etc.
Problem is that most casual anime fans don't explore the older stuff, this also goes for casual movie fans.

Not saying it's all bad, just pointing out that most of it is absolutely horrible
This is true.
But this also goes for live action movies and all other media, no big difference really.

Both of these are really accurate. You have the vocal majority who flaunt it. These people often like titles like Naruto. I would say Naruto is the anime equivalent of the Twilight movies within the movie industry, and Justin Bieber within the music Industry. It has a very huge and obnoxious fan base. How would you feel if Twilight became the main representative for all live action movies?

Many more advanced anime fans find it a good idea to hide or be quiet about their anime interests. So you wont get any input from these people about the medium/genre/art-form or whatever you want to call it.

Also, i would like to add that i think it is good that the obnoxious anime fans keep most people away from anime. I don't wont it to become more normal/casual. Just look at how the current gaming industry is today.

I feel like attention whoring today. This is my MAL profile http://myanimelist.net/profile/Auks
If you share any titles with me feel free to discuss them with me.

Offline 灰野 敬二

• 加爾基 精液 栗ノ花
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: March 27, 2012, 01:47:52 AM »
Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica
Score: 8.741 (scored by 40992 users)
Ranked: #18

6/12 episodes so far and I can already say it: I just don't get it.

It's almost impossible to watch this show without any expectations in my mind considering it's ranked so high and gets so many favorable and praising reviews. The first thing I noticed so far is that it has nothing new, it just borrows things from older mahou shoujo series, which is okay, it's the way the creators put these things together that bother me... Everything about this series feels so disjointed and vague, it's like they intentionally removed some important parts of the story to let the viewers come up with their own theories of what the show is trying to tell. This technique is used in many modern anime, it works in some, but in Madoka you can tell the creators were actually just too fucking dumb to come up with believable connections between certain points of the story, so guess what they did? they simply skipped over the effort to use their heads and fix these plot holes. The character design is pretty pathetic, no girl is actually cute or likeable (except Madoka), the dialogue is actually a little better and more to the point than in most shows, the drawing is good but sometimes the fast-paced scenes looks a little dodgy and disproportional.
   It is rushed, forced, self-indulgent and overall I'd say it lacks enjoyment, truly terrible from my point of view.

I'm going to watch the next episodes and see if it gets any better, although I doubt that's possible.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 06:17:26 AM by 灰野 敬二 »

Offline Simon

• Admin
  • aka Darkstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: March 27, 2012, 02:17:18 AM »
I told you yesterday, stop trying to judge an anime before you've seen it all. You always change your mind about everything. Yesterday you told me that madoka was a 9.8/10 and now your bashing the hell out of it. Just finish it before making an opinion about it. For all you know they might explain shit in later episodes that you just think they left out.

You know better than this  :sleep:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal