Author Topic: Best hip-hop albums?  (Read 11041 times)

Offline Jubito

• I got CDs in my crate like crack in my pocket...yeah right, neither of the above
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Best hip-hop albums?
« Reply #75 on: October 06, 2013, 04:00:46 AM »
Man you shouldn't generalize in such a way. I can only blame those commercial motherfuckers, which are NOT HIP FUCKING HOP but pop bullshit for making people stereotype the hip-hop culture and giving a wrong image of what rap should be. There are plenty of artist which are blessed with the gift of gab (most of them use the word 'brotha' yeah, but they don't build their lyrics around it). But are the artists really to blame? I mean the A&R's are those who direct the artists on what they should do, and they always go in the direction of narrow-minded and fucking dumb people, because that's what sells. Few are the ones which are lucky enough to have their own label and do what they like and love doing most, instead of being confined by boundaries of all the profit-seeking record labels. There are too many imbeciles unfortunately so this cancerous twist of what rap used to be is spreading nowadays, while those who think with their own head and can actually understand what's being said will always keep the righteous and meaningful rap (and subsequently hip-hop culture) alive.

Offline VeganeBrodwärschd

• formerly known as Senti
  • Veteran Member
  • also known as Alteryo
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 06, 2013, 05:42:36 AM »
I tend to disagree. Commercialization of Hip-Hop isn't necessarily a bad thing for the Hip-Hop culture. Does it use stereotypes? Probably yeah. But does it really limit Hip-Hop to a certain type? I don't think so.
Just look at the variety mainstream Hip-Hop artists today: Drake, A$AP Rocky, Kanye West, Kendrick Lamar, Lil Wayne, Rick Ross, Future etc. All those artists are commercially successful but still take Hip-Hop in completely different directions. Drake focuses more on emotinal topics while Rocky does his "swag" and fashion thing. Kendrick Lamar is the Nas of this generation while Lil Wayne just raps about his dick. Rick Ross is impersonating this Gangster image while Kanye constantly redefines the boundaries of Hip-Hop (808 and Yeezus are the prime examples for that). Hip-Hop has become pop but that actually diversifies its culture and makes it even more interesting than just staying within the Backpack understanding of Hip-Hop.

Now, the problem MMM imposes is this "nig-ga" stereotype which only makes sense from the POV of someone who isn't necessarily a part of the african-american culture. Those who make fun of the usage of the word "nig-ga" are doing that in order to uphold the stereotype they have about black culture. "Nig-ga" in Hip-Hop is never used as derogatory and racist term, only white suburban kids use "nig-ga" as such.

Offline Mati

• Dr. Dre
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 30, 2013, 05:46:22 AM »

Offline Erney

• Veteran Member
  • Aero Reapers
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 30, 2013, 06:05:17 AM »