Author Topic: Need Help Reformatting My Computer!  (Read 967 times)

Offline Raskal

• Furniture Cadet
  • Veteran Member
  • I like stuff
    • View Profile
Need Help Reformatting My Computer!
« on: September 02, 2008, 08:51:30 AM »
Hey guys, if you're prepared for a headache read on, if not then I'd say stay clear of this topic!

So it's come to the point in my computer's life where it needs to wipe it's plate clean and start fresh. I've got way too much stuff on it that's its beginning to cause an annoyance. This is a family computer so you can understand why there is an overload of useless space being taken up by unwanted "crap".

As far as my knowledge of computers go, it's pretty dismal, I know that it works but not HOW it works so you could pretty much say this will be a learning experience for me being that this is the first time I've ever done this.

I want to wipe everything off of it and start from scratch the way the factory settings had it when I purchased it.

I don't have a clue of what I'm doing so be aware of that. So if anyone is willing to help me I would be much appreciated.

I know there is at least a few people on this forum that can possibly walk me through the process and will hopefully have the patience to put up with my dumb questions but I really need help.

If you need any more information I'll leave my email address so hopefully it will make things quicker as opposed to post after post on the forums.

Please let me know if you can help me out!

Thanks in advance!

Offline UtterGarbage

• UG's Group
  • Veteran Member
  • Kickin It Old School
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 01:00:27 PM »
i might be able to help ya  pm me

Offline Cody

• Veteran Member
  • (stormlexer)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 07:45:55 PM »
I've reformated my computer like 5-6 times, trust me dude its alot easyer than it sounds.

Offline Joe

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 12:18:04 PM »
Backup, chuck in the windows disc and off ya go.

Offline Wanted

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 12:49:41 AM »
I would also like to know how this is done. Maybe it would be a good idea to make a tutorial here? And seeing as you (or just me) don't get the Windows CD with computers anymore, how would you go around it. I've only ever gotten 1 Windows CD with my computers, that was my first one. My last one didn't, and neither did this one (Got new PC yesterday)

Offline HeX

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 01:28:21 AM »
download windows using www.google.com

Offline Toomanypuppies

• KGeedorah
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 01:40:40 AM »
you can use a utilitie called GDISK32 i believe,  and run it thru cmd prompt.but its probably easiest to do it with an OS CD. And if your on XP/Vista format in NTFS file format. Also just do a quick format, takes like 5 seconds. the full format writes and reads on each sector to check for bad ones. it doesnt fix em so its pointless really.

Offline Joe

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 12:14:12 PM »
Without a windows disk, I am presuming you have a secondary partition called "backup" or something similar which you had to set up when you first got your computer? If you don't set this up, you should have done.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal