Author Topic: Graphics card question  (Read 2627 times)

Offline Cody

• Veteran Member
  • (stormlexer)
    • View Profile
Graphics card question
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2008, 10:45:50 AM »
Quote from: FIGHTER
Quote from: StormLexer
Lets say if I got a computer with an integrated graphics card, would I be able to somehow buy another one, install it into a PCI slot and then make it so it only uses the new graphics card and completely ignores the old one?
I bought a new one (i had also an integrated graphics card) installed and he asked to install the drivers of the new one, i did and had no problems
Thank you very much.  

Quote from: JayFoxRox
The actual problem with onboard devices is that they slow down the system (it doesn't matter if you use it or not). I have a onboard soundcard and it is slowing down the whole system, thats why I will never ever get something with onboard parts again.
I don't give a fuck honestly, as long as I can run games on it fine it's good enough for me.  
I'm not even looking for HIGHEST SETTINGS LOOLOLOL crap, I just want a graphics card that can run steam games if I ever needed to.
(Mostly gonna be playing gunz/MS, it'd be nice to be able to run that on high settings tho.  )

Next question:
Can someone find me a graphics card with the budget of 100-200 USD that can support dual monitors?

This good?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130317
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 10:50:21 AM by StormLexer »

Offline FIGHTER

• View Profile
Graphics card question
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2008, 10:48:14 AM »
buy an 8600GTS and you are happy

Offline Cody

• Veteran Member
  • (stormlexer)
    • View Profile
Graphics card question
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2008, 10:53:53 AM »
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130286

?

Also I asked this question before but I didn't get any answer, on my old computer it's possable to take my HD and put it on my new one as the main HDD right? Instead of buying XP and stuff...
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 10:55:00 AM by StormLexer »

Offline Labiloute

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel
Graphics card question
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2008, 11:01:40 AM »

Offline Cody

• Veteran Member
  • (stormlexer)
    • View Profile
Graphics card question
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2008, 11:14:21 AM »
I've heard great things about the 8800's. And was planning to buy one at the start, but i'm not sure yet.
Is that the one you use Labiloute?

Offline FIGHTER

• View Profile
Graphics card question
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2008, 11:28:39 AM »
Stormlexer it is like which kind of monitor do you use? cause i think if you have a 19inch you dont need to buy a 512mb....265mb is enough  also you can put your HDD of your old pc in you new one
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 11:29:21 AM by FIGHTER »

Offline Labiloute

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • YouTube Channel
Graphics card question
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2008, 11:53:17 AM »
I've heard great things about the 8800's. And was planning to buy one at the start, but i'm not sure yet.
Is that the one you use Labiloute?
That the one i will bought in some days for sure

Offline Mythic

• Veteran Member
  • WH Member
    • View Profile
Graphics card question
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2008, 11:56:53 AM »
You can get much better feedback by using AfterDawn for example, I can promise you that.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 11:57:04 AM by Mythic »

Offline JayFoxRox

• View Profile
    • Homepage
Graphics card question
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2008, 02:44:16 PM »
Quote from: GT-7
How much does it slow down the system if I for example have soundcard onboard my motherboard, Fox?  
Since you can't find much motherboards without the soundcard.

My motherboard won't even work correctly if I don't install correct drivers, installing windows is a pain, I get tons of bluescreens, Flash and other apps aren't working smooth (in terms of framerate) if the soundcard is enabled in bios, disabling it will give less crashes and slowdowns, but it is still slow.
It is a difference, trust me.. And yes, there are motherboards without onboard sound. I m not having anything against good on-board devices btw, but my soundcard is horrible in terms of quality and the drivers don't come with winxp by default so thats the first thing I have to do after installing windows - otherwise my system is rendered useless.

Offline Cody

• Veteran Member
  • (stormlexer)
    • View Profile
Graphics card question
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2008, 02:49:50 PM »
Stormlexer it is like which kind of monitor do you use? cause i think if you have a 19inch you dont need to buy a 512mb....265mb is enough  also you can put your HDD of your old pc in you new one
I'm going to buy a second 19" one or buy two 22" ones once I get a job, i'm unsure about it. But whatever, I might as well just go with it anyway.

Quote from: JayFoxRox
Quote from: GT-7
How much does it slow down the system if I for example have soundcard onboard my motherboard, Fox?  
Since you can't find much motherboards without the soundcard.

My motherboard won't even work correctly if I don't install correct drivers, installing windows is a pain, I get tons of bluescreens, Flash and other apps aren't working smooth (in terms of framerate) if the soundcard is enabled in bios, disabling it will give less crashes and slowdowns, but it is still slow.
It is a difference, trust me.. And yes, there are motherboards without onboard sound. I m not having anything against good on-board devices btw, but my soundcard is horrible in terms of quality and the drivers don't come with winxp by default so thats the first thing I have to do after installing windows - otherwise my system is rendered useless.
That sounds shitty.  
How old is your computer?

Offline FIGHTER

• View Profile
Graphics card question
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2008, 03:23:52 PM »
storm in not a pc expert but i know something about them

19 inch - a good fast 265mb card is enough
20 or higher - a nice 512 or higher (640/768/840/1024)

Good luck

Offline Technogeek

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • http://
Graphics card question
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2008, 03:53:33 PM »
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130286

?

Also I asked this question before but I didn't get any answer, on my old computer it's possable to take my HD and put it on my new one as the main HDD right? Instead of buying XP and stuff...

If you're getting an entire new system then you will suffer the same problem I had. I don't buy pre-made systems, though I do buy parts and upgrade. I've usually never had any problems just switching over my HDD to another machine, however when I got a new motherboard I was faced with the problem that it wouldn't work. I was then forced to format my HDD and re-install my OS. However, you may be lucky and not have to worry about any formatting. All you can do is give it a try.

19 inch - a good fast 265mb card is enough
20 or higher - a nice 512 or higher (640/768/840/1024)

That's a load of shite. Just because you have a certain resolution it doesn't mean you should get a specific video card size. I used to own a 19inch monitor and playing games with a 256mb card still suffered the same consequences as I did playing games with the same card on a 21inch screen. It's not about the video memory size in relation to the resolution of your screen, it's all about video performance. You can have any screen in the world and it might affect the game by 1 or 2 frames either way. At the moment in my system I have have an 8800 GTS 512mb overlocked by BFGTech, I recently sold my other one I had in SLI just for a bit of spare money. I also have two 8800 GT 512MB cards listed on ebay for £80 each. I will probably sell the 8800 GTS I have in my machine soon before they become even cheaper. I can honestly say I have got my moneys worth. If you're going to buy an 8800 GTS card make sure you don't invest in the 320 or the 640mb versions as these are the "out dated" versions of the GTS series and the 512mb versions dominates them both in speed and performance.

Offline FIGHTER

• View Profile
Graphics card question
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2008, 03:56:21 PM »
I just said: 'im not a pc expert but i know something about them' so i was wrong this time

Offline brandon6199

• V.I.P. Member
    • View Profile
Graphics card question
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2008, 04:05:02 PM »
Quote from: Labilouteâ„¢
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814150254

pwn gts one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814130348

completely rapes them both for $10 more than the GTS
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 04:05:28 PM by brandon6199 »

Offline Technogeek

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • http://
Graphics card question
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2008, 04:11:39 PM »
I wouldn't say it "rapes" them. It's a tad bit better than them but +4 FPS doesn't really justify the cost.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal