Author Topic: VC freezes  (Read 1484 times)

Offline Tackleberry

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
VC freezes
« on: November 10, 2006, 03:02:30 AM »
I'm working with the GTASL2 vid right now, but I got some big problems. Sometimes, when I've recorded a stunt and tabs out, VC freezes and I have to restart the computer. Usually I press "Esc" and then the win button, but I've tried "alt+tab" and "ctrl+alt+delete" too. It doesn't happen every time, but way too often it freezes.

I don't really feel to record much more when having this problem, cause it takes so damn much time. So therefore, does anyone know what might be causing this and is there any solution to get it fixed?

I would really appreciate some help now, thanks.

EDIT:
The computer does not restart automatically, but the screen freezes.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 03:21:46 AM by Tackleberry »

Offline Spoofy

• View Profile
    • http://
VC freezes
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 04:56:24 AM »
I have a friend who has the same problem, I would recommend that you uninstall everything Rockstar related on your computer (copy your .reps to an mp3player or something and then delete those too) and then install Vice City again. Should help out...

Offline Dannye

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
VC freezes
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 04:58:21 AM »
So VC is freezing sometimes when you try to minimize the game?

For any other game I would say the possiblility that it might be one of the few games that just cant handle that sort of thing, but ofcourse, as we all know, VC usually has no problem with it.

Sorry dude, I can't think of anyhting that would help at the moment. Hopefully someone else can.

EDIT: This is NOT A SOLUTION, but at least for the moment it may mean you wont have to restart the computer every time it happens. Also, this will only work if it is just the screen freezing, because it relies on being still able to press buttons... before starting vc goto task manager and make sure the default tab is Applications (by going to it, then closing task manager), then, whenever VC freezes, controlaltdelete should open task manager (even if you cant see it), then press the following buttons (one after the other, not at the same time, and wait a tiny bit of time in between each one): tab, e, enter - this should perform end task on the top one in the list, which should be vc. Now vc 'should' (hopefully) be closed and computer screen will wake up back in windows.

Again, I am sorry I have no real helpful advice.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 05:08:51 AM by Dannye »

Offline Shotgun

• View Profile
    • http://gta-gaming.extra.hu/
VC freezes
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 12:30:49 PM »
Your game isn't freezing... It's just simply dont gets down to the system tray.. If u do ALT+TAB and u can see your mouse, but nothing else, then press ALT+TAB again 2 times, if your vc isn't working, then press it 3 times and so... Hope it helps, i'll fraps it if i can, i've got the same problem...

Offline treeunit

• View Profile
    • http://
VC freezes
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 12:35:43 PM »
i get the same problem, i just keep pressing alt tab + windows button until it finally works

Offline Makaveli Rydah

• View Profile
VC freezes
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2006, 01:18:48 PM »
I also have been having this problem - i thought it might be down to the SLi setup as it does it on NFS aswell , it's good to hear i'm not the only one - BTW mine does it witha fresh Vice install so deleting the Rock* file won't work - i think .

Offline Turtle Dick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
VC freezes
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2006, 01:23:41 PM »
Quote from: Dannye
EDIT: This is NOT A SOLUTION, but at least for the moment it may mean you wont have to restart the computer every time it happens. Also, this will only work if it is just the screen freezing, because it relies on being still able to press buttons... before starting vc goto task manager and make sure the default tab is Applications (by going to it, then closing task manager), then, whenever VC freezes, controlaltdelete should open task manager (even if you cant see it), then press the following buttons (one after the other, not at the same time, and wait a tiny bit of time in between each one): tab, e, enter - this should perform end task on the top one in the list, which should be vc. Now vc 'should' (hopefully) be closed and computer screen will wake up back in windows.
That's what I do too. But I press ALT + K (Taak beëindigen, it's Dutch).

Offline Tackleberry

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
VC freezes
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2006, 01:33:55 PM »
I'll try the "alt+tab until it gives up-technique", thanks for telling about that. I think I tried it without success though, but I might be wrong. Otherwise I'll go with what Dannye explained, at least it's better than restarting the whole computer. Thanks for the comments.

Though it doesn't really solve my problem, cause I didn't have this before. I wonder what might be causing it...

Offline Torque

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
VC freezes
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2006, 01:40:16 PM »
Tack when your come restarts do all your desktop icons re-allign themselves to the left side?

Offline Aries

• V.I.P. Member
    • View Profile
VC freezes
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2006, 02:31:16 PM »
Tack it's your screen resolution   Happens with me as well. Just press Start button, alt and tab like crazy until it just does it normally. It's annoying. I only have to do it with 1280x1024x32.

Offline Tackleberry

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
VC freezes
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2006, 02:43:43 PM »
@Torque:
No, they don't.

@Aries:
Yeah, that might be it. I changed the res in VC to 1024x768, that must be causing it. I will experiment more with it later, maybe this means it was a bad idea for me to record in 1024x768...

Thanks for telling!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal