Author Topic: Enough of this slow-mo bullshit  (Read 7090 times)

Offline DeathCobra

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Enough of this slow-mo bullshit
« on: November 02, 2013, 02:46:37 PM »
So bored of people whining over stunts done with slow mo. Here's some examples of tricks/methods that have been discovered over the years that have added new dimensions and possibilities to stunting (and as such were surrounded by a lot of controversy):

- RADs. Verrrry controversial. For a year or two this was literally a love/hate thing in the community.
- Taxi boosting
- BSMs
- FBI bumps
- Bicycle jump glitch in SA
- FPS Off. Lol I bet people still argue over this.
- Entirely new GTAs (especially SA). So many people getting butthurt by the new physics.

Despite the fact that most of these could be considered exploits, if we're talking in terms of what Rockstar intended to be possible in the game in the first place, they pretty much all eventually became recognised as legit methods and respected as such. This slow mo business is no different. Allow people to use it to land their stunts if they want. It's blatantly obvious when it is used (for now), so there's no issue of deceit. If you want to be the purest of purist stunters, then fine, don't used it. Just don't get pissed off when other people do.

Offline MxZz.

• Veteran Member
  • Nomad Union
    • View Profile
    • MY YT CHANNEL
Re: Enough of this slow-mo bullshit
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 03:12:28 PM »
When used on the bump, it totally ruins the stunt. Except if its not possible to bump it without. Im part of the guys who hate that thing. You always get a bump and can do 500ft wallrides. Just no.. I hate when guys use it to ruin a possible stunt, otherwise, if someone land a 400ft building with it, why not.

Offline Daffy

• V.I.P. Member
  • WH & NU Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 03:22:15 PM »
I'm gonna assume you mean FL off?
Anyway as long as it isn't used to make something already easy even easier I don't mind it.
No one is trying to stop anyone from using it, that doesn't mean that they have to like when it's used though.
This sounds like you're you're trying to make your taste into 'law' and shove your opinion down everyone's throats.
I use it myself on some stunts and/or on some run-ups, but I draw the line where the use becomes so dominant that tremendous feeling of accomplishment when you land a stunt fades away as the whole point of doing a stunt in the first place fades with it.
That said I'll express my subjective dislike of the use of it when I feel it's acceptable and I'm not crushing the spirit of any newcomer, but see a veteran who's just being lazy.

Offline DeathCobra

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 03:31:36 PM »
When used on the bump, it totally ruins the stunt. Except if its not possible to bump it without. Im part of the guys who hate that thing. You always get a bump and can do 500ft wallrides. Just no.. I hate when guys use it to ruin a possible stunt, otherwise, if someone land a 400ft building with it, why not.

You can still land it without the slow mo you know...

I'm gonna assume you mean FL off?

Thats the one lol.

This sounds like you're you're trying to make your taste into 'law' and shove your opinion down everyone's throats.

You opted to click on this thread, and then read the content, so I fail to see how I'm shoving it down people's throats. If the thread title wasn't clear enough on what the thread was about then I apologise. The main point is not to write any 'law', but to show that pretty much any method that has been discovered in the past, and made stunts more accessible/possible, has always been controversial to begin with, but eventually becomes integrated into most peoples stunting toolkit, and appreciated within the context of the stunts that they are used. Therefore, all of the arguing that surrounds it boils down to nitpicking or hurt egos.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 03:49:34 PM by DeathCobra »

Offline Rainbow

• Coeur de taxi
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/Rainbowstunting
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 03:49:23 PM »
Yes, after your motivation to land something has been crushed because it's now old. And seeing the engine is so new landing old stuff is not worth it. Would have loved if R* didn't implement this in the game. Landed a few stunts with it but maaaaan it's so cheap and easy. It's next level unrewarding. And I seriously doubt R* intended that this stuff was possible.. If it is absolutely necessary to use slow-motion then go ahead but otherwise please don't even think about using it people.

EDIT://Apart from it being an easy escape it also looks so lame.  :unsure:
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 03:51:41 PM by Rainbow »

Offline DeathCobra

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 04:02:33 PM »
Yes, after your motivation to land something has been crushed because it's now old. And seeing the engine is so new landing old stuff is not worth it. Would have loved if R* didn't implement this in the game. Landed a few stunts with it but maaaaan it's so cheap and easy. It's next level unrewarding. And I seriously doubt R* intended that this stuff was possible.. If it is absolutely necessary to use slow-motion then go ahead but otherwise please don't even think about using it people.

As you like, however it's most likely that in a years time, no one will give a shit whether you used it or not. The most important thing, then, will be the spectacle of the stunt. Might as well make it a more impressive spectacle than technically pure.

In fact, you might as well stop using invincibility cheats, modded bikes or a character with high skills.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 04:06:42 PM by DeathCobra »

Offline Cooper

• Veteran Member
  • fumo porro meto drop bump
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 04:06:26 PM »
Slowmo is for fags, and i speak for all games (example: NFS)

Offline DeathCobra

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2013, 04:07:20 PM »

Clearly never played Max Payne

Offline Cooper

• Veteran Member
  • fumo porro meto drop bump
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2013, 04:18:27 PM »

Clearly never played Max Payne
well i mean games that its not necesary

Offline Rainbow

• Coeur de taxi
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/Rainbowstunting
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2013, 04:31:07 PM »

In fact, you might as well stop using invincibility cheats, modded bikes or a character with high skills.
We'll see about the spectacle thing vs technically pure but as for now please don't use it. And about what I quoted from you, don't be silly. Invincibility has seen it's best time anyway (atleast for me). Online stunting is quicker unless you do a watergap. And for watergaps you need to reload your game everytime so why even bother entering that cheat. Not use bike customizations? Don't use skills which you barely have any control over? Are you just giving rather annoying arguments for the fun of it or something? Or are you really that black&white, either all or nothing?

Bottom line: just don't use it when you don't have to. It's as simple as that. By all means make a whole solo full of slow-mo when they are possible without but you are not going to get my like.

Offline DeathCobra

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2013, 04:46:44 PM »
Are you just giving rather annoying arguments for the fun of it or something? Or are you really that black&white, either all or nothing?

Lol, no. I'm presenting you with a hyperbolic example of your own argument to highlight more vividly it's flaws. Like this:

Or are you really that black&white, either all or nothing?

Bottom line: just don't use it when you don't have to. It's as simple as that. By all means make a whole solo full of slow-mo when they are possible without but you are not going to get my like.

Any stunts you can do without a modding bike, should be done without a modded bike. Same for character skills, any cheats, online modes, etc. Otherwise you're ruining stunting.

Offline Daffy

• V.I.P. Member
  • WH & NU Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2013, 05:09:13 PM »
Any stunts you can do without a modding bike, should be done without a modded bike. Same for character skills, any cheats, online modes, etc. Otherwise you're ruining stunting.
I get the point of the argument, but it's not one that takes into account that stunting is largely a visual thing and whilst performance upgrades for the bike does make the technical requirements for performing the stunts lower, it does not necessarily lower the eye-candy value of the same stunt unless the upgrades are on the exterior of course.

This whole thing though is a huge conflict of interests, as there's the people like me who'd rather spend a week to do something without slow-motion than a day to do it with, and then there's the people who doesn't necessarily have the same amount of free time to throw at this who just wants to do some quick stunts for the hell of it.
Neither side is in the wrong but it does create a clash, I think we just have to acknowledge each other and try to be mindful that our actions does affect one another and try to find some sort of compromise.

In all fairness there's no denying that it does take the wind out of my sails a bit to see something I've been working on doing my way, where an idea I had which was performed in a lesser way that does cancel the some of the purpose behind my effort out.
And when I comment on that I don't do it to put someone down but it's hard to be cheerful in the face of that, and to be looked upon as a harsh asshole doesn't make it one bit easier to be nice either.
I guess you could say that that's the other side of the medallion when it comes to stunting and harden the fuck up, but if we have to accept the high probability of our ideas been watered down and averaged out the point of stunting for me dies with it.
I don't have a solution, nor do I have a compromise for this, but I feel like it's important to express how it is to be a recipient of this resistance in a non aggressive way so that hopefully some of you can relate.

Offline Cookie

• Veteran Member
  • om nom nom
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2013, 05:11:52 PM »
I don't see any problem using it, it is just a shame it's overused a little too much. By that I mean they use it until the bar runs out etc.

Offline RedX

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2013, 05:16:56 PM »
My problem with it is regarding its aesthetics. A bump to me is supposed to be something powerful, like an explosion or something! with slowmo on it looks like you're... driving over an edge? lol

imo it can be lame as fuck, and I will express that opinion where I see fit

Offline Turtle Dick

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2013, 05:43:30 PM »
TorqueV confirmed? :happy:

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal