Author Topic: VC Throwback 2  (Read 5157 times)

Offline Angle.Fire

• Veteran Member
  • Never Mind
    • View Profile
Re: VC Throwback 2
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2022, 11:21:39 AM »
Thanks for all the feedback everyone, its been lovely to read and watch!

An updated Freeplay was indeed used for this video - both it and the video were developed side-by-side throughout. Either one would've been completed faster without me doing the other, but neither would be as good without the other. I had hoped to have the new Freeplay ready-to-go in time with the video's release, but I have been making some last minute changes to try and smooth off some of the rough edges (as any issues I found that didn't impact my progress with the video were often ignored) and finish converting my changelog into a decent bit of documentation on the changes (it will just be a plaintext file for now, as it would take much longer to properly incorporate everything into the html file I normally use). My aim now is to get it finalised and uploaded within the next few days.

Cheers!

Absolutely crazy. I've also been trying this kind of edit for a time now and adjusting the mouse is just pure pain. Good job.

You probably will document it with the release but, is 8:42 a feature or video crop animation? It was not possible to move cam while retaining the original vehicle speed as far as I know.

Also is it possible to add camera stop slowdown for smoothness? Every cam movement so far were too sharp. It would've been much cooler to have it. Even managing it with parameter input would be killer.

Offline Dannye

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2022, 12:52:39 AM »
The new Freeplay version has now been released and can be found this post of the Freeplay thread for anyone interested.

Absolutely crazy. I've also been trying this kind of edit for a time now and adjusting the mouse is just pure pain. Good job.

You probably will document it with the release but, is 8:42 a feature or video crop animation? It was not possible to move cam while retaining the original vehicle speed as far as I know.

Also is it possible to add camera stop slowdown for smoothness? Every cam movement so far were too sharp. It would've been much cooler to have it. Even managing it with parameter input would be killer.

Thanks!

Yeah the sideways camera movement at 8:42 was done using the new Freeplay. The old "Camera Lean Options" setting (which changes how horizontal mouse movement affects the freecam), has been improved and now covers 5 options: the game-default of doing horizontal rotation around the player, then 3 that do a kind of "roll" effect instead, and 1 that does a "pan" effect - it was that last one that I used for this stunt (and during the airtime of Kingjad's downtown taxi stunt).

Regarding camera smoothness, there are ways to adjust the base camera speed (can be incremented/decremented via keyboard or mouse keys, or can be specifically set via the new frep-file feature), and it can be changed on-the-fly to alter the speed as while the camera is in motion (though that wont be as easy for the frep-file approach). Is that what you had in mind? Or if you meant perhaps a way to have camera movement begin by 'building up to' the defined speed, rather than immediately starting at full speed? In that case no Freeplay doesn't currently support that but it has indeed been something on my mind, and as a result of some of the other changes I've done behind the scenes with this latest release, it may be possible (for some types of camera movement), though there'd still be things to figure out such as how long I should have it take to reach the proper speed, and whether that should be dependant on what the proper speed is, etc.

Offline Kingjad

• Veteran Member
  • Fat Bastard
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2022, 01:35:19 AM »
Dang my stunts got all sortsa special treatment haha.

Offline TrYp

• Veteran Member
  • X
    • View Profile
    • http://sampforum.hu
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2022, 04:04:36 PM »
Enjoyed the vid, it was very chilling. Kingjad's grind(s) on the bridge were so well edited I seriously shouted out "wow" irl.

Offline Skuller

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2022, 10:25:42 AM »
A bit late comment from me but oh well..

I'm really glad this is finally released now after so much time (2 years if I'm not mistaken). Working on the organization brought some nostalgia to me that definitely felt good! I was good at organizing collabs in the past so saving this one was not a problem. I was told to ask Dannye who gladly accepted to take the editing which was such a honor for me! Working with him was really easy and such a pleasure so thank you for that Dannye! :a-cheer: All those cameras with the new Freeplay were really unique and interesting for myself and they fit very well too! Won't comment on the stunts cuz you know I love oldies. Those components which I list till now made that kind of old school feeling of a video that felt really nice!

All in all a very stylish production! Thanks so much to all involved!

Offline Krypton

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2022, 07:10:45 PM »
The most fresh video ive seen in a very long time. Incredible job Dannye, one of my favorite edits of all time. Gave me Yeah Baby vibes mixed with Lagoon.

Editing been on the up and up lately. Vigilante, Skyward 4, and now this.

Offline NEM

• wasteland heroes
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2022, 03:06:23 PM »
Absolutely amazing, great production, loved every second of it.

Online Diaz

• Veteran Member
  • WH
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2022, 02:50:06 PM »
Such an enjoyable video! Cool stunts and as I'm not aware of that much VC stunts, some seemed even new to me  :lol:
About the editing, it was an exceptional one, great effort Dannye. You can always show something new and interesting, one could tell you really enjoy what you are doing. Creative ideas all around and showing stunts like nobody else does, it was truly unique, thanks for the experience!

Offline Sport

• Veteran Member
  • I love fat cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2022, 02:46:17 AM »
What a surprise release! I thought this project was abandoned, but the wait was worth it :ajaja:. Dannye you did an amazing editing work, this camera angels and transitions are so fucking cool. On 5:28 I was like this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7prt_us5aI :lol:. The video has some warm feeling and definitely needs to be watched a few times. Good job on stunts boys :mellow:.

Offline Dannye

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2022, 12:31:44 AM »
Cheers everyone for your comments on the video, I appreciate it! Thanks again to Skuller for taking care of this project, it was good to work together on this.

Now its BONUS FEATURES time!

Starting off simply, here's a couple (temporary) direct-download links of the main video that haven't been through the youtube ringer. I had one ready earlier but I wasn't too impressed with the excessive filesize, so with this extra time (apologies for the delay) I have finally gone and done some more efficient re-renders:

And there's NEW STUFF too - I've made a behind-the-scenes commentary video!
Not sure how interesting it will be to watch, but at least I've found making it to be a satisfying way to cap off the project, so I'm good with that. If anyone is keen, be warned that its just over 25min long (talking over the original video played back at roughly half speed; with on-screen text used to go into more detail or cover extra topics - and avoid making the whole thing hours long), and the audio is far from perfect (it was the first time I've done something like this, the room had background noise, and all the recordings were just talking into a phone, thus also probably a little inconsistent too). If I haven't talked you out of it, here's a link to check it out:

Thanks all!

Offline NEM

• wasteland heroes
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2022, 03:59:00 AM »
Woah! What an interesting watch seriously! Loved listening to how you think of every single cam angle and transition. You're much more than just an editor, I really hope we'll get to see more videos from you in the future, the video was just fantastic and having an extra video which is essentialy ''behind the scenes'' as if it were a movie is really helpful to understand what you mustve gone through to make it look this good, I really didn't understand how you made some of the shots in the video. Thank you Dannye, you're awesome!

Offline Ezraph2001

• Live, love, laugh, Limberly Kippington
    • View Profile
    • stan nmixx
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2022, 05:12:20 AM »
Made this comment on your commentary video but whatever:

As for ThirteenAG's widescreen mod you can make it so you play in 4:3 stretched but it's just a taste thing. I also use it for AA (besides the obvious) so I don't have any experience using injectSMAA. Only downside is the widescreen mod's AA shows 1px black bars which can be remedied by zooming in a little bit so not a big deal. I like the bleedthrough effect, might use that.

Yes, Modloader is the shit and will always be. And wow do we have a similar setup routine for freeplay POG only my routine's different. b v s a q 7 g 0 END *10 (+ f7 for some cines)

Also for the bleedthrough effect try using MVL, that might be a time saver.

Keep the creativity up my dude.

Offline DeathCobra

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2022, 11:01:18 AM »
Cheers everyone for your comments on the video, I appreciate it! Thanks again to Skuller for taking care of this project, it was good to work together on this.

Now its BONUS FEATURES time!

Starting off simply, here's a couple (temporary) direct-download links of the main video that haven't been through the youtube ringer. I had one ready earlier but I wasn't too impressed with the excessive filesize, so with this extra time (apologies for the delay) I have finally gone and done some more efficient re-renders:

And there's NEW STUFF too - I've made a behind-the-scenes commentary video!
Not sure how interesting it will be to watch, but at least I've found making it to be a satisfying way to cap off the project, so I'm good with that. If anyone is keen, be warned that its just over 25min long (talking over the original video played back at roughly half speed; with on-screen text used to go into more detail or cover extra topics - and avoid making the whole thing hours long), and the audio is far from perfect (it was the first time I've done something like this, the room had background noise, and all the recordings were just talking into a phone, thus also probably a little inconsistent too). If I haven't talked you out of it, here's a link to check it out:

Thanks all!

It's actually incredible how much you've contributed to this community over the past two decades or so. And this is just another example of it. Mind blowing, thank you.

Offline Dannye

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2022, 02:30:24 AM »
Thanks guys for the kind comments both here and on youtube  :wub:

EDIT:

Cheers Ezraph for the info on the widescreen mod - I hadn't realised it was possible to use it while retaining the normal 4:3 look, that's cool to know! And I'll check out the MVL stuff too  :)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 02:42:14 AM by Dannye »

Offline Pizzapie

• View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2022, 06:03:38 PM »
Very late reply, but this throwback had a really nostalgic feeling for me  :lol:, made me miss when I spent my whole day stunting just to record a clip at 5fps with fraps, good times...

awesome job!  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal