Author Topic: Post a picture of your Desktop  (Read 230618 times)

Offline GINSENGXXX

• Dakar
  • xD
    • View Profile
Re: Post a picture of your Desktop
« Reply #1545 on: August 19, 2016, 05:27:57 PM »

Offline Blaze

• USS Crew
    • View Profile
    • Bike Gallery
« Reply #1546 on: August 20, 2016, 11:51:41 AM »
Because it's an old, outdated operating system with no official support ie technical support or security updates/patches/etc from Microsoft since 2014. No DirectX11 if I remember correctly so there'd be trouble running newer games, I mean sure there's most likely ways to force Microsoft updates/patches, DX11 etc but it's still coming up on being 15 years old this October but I can't think of any discernable advantage using XP in 2016 would give except support/better performance for older hardware/systems.

Offline FrankInsanity

• The Green One
  • Veteran Member
  • Inactive
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: August 20, 2016, 12:34:48 PM »
 Most Important: I'm still using vegas 9... D: I need fucking 14 NOW

Offline Blaze

• USS Crew
    • View Profile
    • Bike Gallery
« Reply #1548 on: August 20, 2016, 12:45:16 PM »
You'll have a hard time getting Vegas 14 when it hasn't been released yet. Sony Vegas and some of the other Sony Creative Suites got bought out by Magix earlier in the year and if I remember right they said Vegas 14 would come out in September.

Offline Blaze

• USS Crew
    • View Profile
    • Bike Gallery
« Reply #1549 on: September 19, 2016, 05:24:24 PM »

classic theme 4 life.

Offline ARS

• Veteran Member
  • Natural's the best way.
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #1550 on: September 20, 2016, 06:21:57 AM »

Offline Blaze

• USS Crew
    • View Profile
    • Bike Gallery
« Reply #1551 on: October 17, 2016, 02:00:38 PM »

Offline Reynard The Fox

• Reynolds
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: October 18, 2016, 01:24:17 AM »

Offline Blaze

• USS Crew
    • View Profile
    • Bike Gallery
« Reply #1553 on: October 18, 2016, 03:14:35 AM »
no i'd need to install backtrack for that

Offline torekk

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • torekk's blog
« Reply #1554 on: October 18, 2016, 05:08:23 AM »
+1 for debian, though I'll propably switch to Arch sooner or later. :P

Also screenfetch sucks on raspbian, lol.

I must say, for a 35$ computer this thing is quite useful, I use it for web browsing, watching youtube videos and such, emulating PSX and playing DOOM.

Offline Blaze

• USS Crew
    • View Profile
    • Bike Gallery
« Reply #1555 on: October 18, 2016, 05:17:49 AM »
I just stuck Debian back on as a dual boot the other day, hadn't touched it in years but it's been somewhat fun (I say that as if ./configure makefile make hasn't been ruining my life) getting back to grips with it. How's LXDE? I pretty much just used XFCE back in the day so I've stuck with it for now but I kinda wanna mess around with other stuff.

Also, if you do screenfetch -su hmp it screenshots, auto uploads to an image host and gives a link for it in the terminal; it supposedly works with Imgur and some other hosts but I've had problems with that and hmp is the only one that works. Check screenfetch -h or in the screenfetch.sh file for more info on hosts.

Offline OrangeW

• The unholy offspring of herp and derp itself.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1556 on: October 18, 2016, 11:26:20 AM »
desktop messier than my life

so heres my phone desktop

Offline .Dakar

• gta vc creator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: October 18, 2016, 02:23:50 PM »

any distro that you recomend for a beginner? blaze haxor sempai? (pls not ubuntu or arch(last time i installed arch I fucked up PC and had no PC for 2 months))

Offline torekk

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • torekk's blog
« Reply #1558 on: October 18, 2016, 02:44:34 PM »
I heard Linux Mint is also quite beginner friendly.

Regarding LXDE, I'm not really liking it. It's just missing a lot of features that you think are "basic", like dragging shortcuts from the menu onto the panel. Instead you rightclick the applications panel and then add them from there, too many clicks for my liking, but then again you only do this once so it's not that big of a problem.

And so far I haven't really found a theme that I like, most of them don't seem to support GTK3 anyways.

Offline Blaze

• USS Crew
    • View Profile
    • Bike Gallery
« Reply #1559 on: October 18, 2016, 04:20:27 PM »

any distro that you recomend for a beginner? blaze haxor sempai? (pls not ubuntu or arch(last time i installed arch I fucked up PC and had no PC for 2 months))

Assuming you've already used Ubuntu and have a decent knowledge of it I'd say Debian which is what I'm running. Essentially all those beginner linux distros like ubuntu, mint etc are just based off Debian but have shit added to them like GNOME, various software packages etc so you may aswell cut the bullshit out and do it yourself.

I heard Linux Mint is also quite beginner friendly.

Regarding LXDE, I'm not really liking it. It's just missing a lot of features that you think are "basic", like dragging shortcuts from the menu onto the panel. Instead you rightclick the applications panel and then add them from there, too many clicks for my liking, but then again you only do this once so it's not that big of a problem.

And so far I haven't really found a theme that I like, most of them don't seem to support GTK3 anyways.

Yeah the whole "basic" features being missed out is one of the main irks about Linux, for example I had to write a script just to mount my storage drive and had to install a bunch of different mixer packages just to change main output from the onboard to a USB headset. That being said the learning curve is nice and makes for a way more stable and customizable system than Windows once you've got it properly configured.

XFCE is sometimes a dick to configure but once it's set you're golden. Did some more tweaking since I wanted something nice and easy on the eyes.

Still need to find a decent music player for Linux. CLI ones like MPD/NCMPCPP/XMSS2/MOCP are either old, outdated or refuse to work and even ones with a GUI tend to be pretty shoddy. I'd hoped Foobnix would be a close replacement for Foobar but that's crashed a bunch of times.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal