Author Topic: Best mods for GTA IV  (Read 3652 times)

Offline Helveticus

• I liek teh stuntz
    • View Profile
Best mods for GTA IV
« on: August 07, 2012, 01:26:06 AM »
Hi

I'm new to GTA IV, so I have a few questions. I hope that somebody can help me. Please excuse my bad english, I'm german. Posted Image

1. What's the difference between patch 1.0.4.0 and 1.0.7.0?

2. Is Icenhancer 2.1 or ENB graphic mod better? What are the best settings, so that it looks most naturally? I've read that the sunset and night is bad with Icenhancer.

3. Which one is the most realistic blood mod?

4. Ss there a mod which brings the original names for cars, municipalities etc. (so that everything has original names)?

5. Are there any other good mods for graphic or other things or is there a mod pack where all good mods are inside? car mods seems to be very important, but there are soo many more mods.

Offline Flat Face

• With power comes lulz
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Best mods for GTA IV
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 03:15:57 AM »
Not too many people here use those types of mods so I'm not sure how many replies you'll get.

I haven't modded IV before but I'll try to help;

Certain mods are only compatible with certain patches, I'm not sure which one's ideal.

it's entirely up to you with the visual mods, as far as I know Ice is done for you where as ENB needs you to edit values to get the best output, though people have uploaded their own CFG files to help.

no clue.

Yes and yes, I think it was called "real gta IV" or new york mod or something, just get to googling :P

I'm not sure about mod packs, I know there are ones that replace all the cars which can be googled for again but I don't know if they include non car mods.

Offline Helveticus

• I liek teh stuntz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 07:20:06 AM »
Thank you.

Is there also a edition of icenhancer where the daylight is not so flushy (looks unatural in Icenhancer 2.1 for me) and where the sunset and sunrise light is much better (orange like in the original GTA)? Or is there a fix for that? Icenhancer 2.1 has a configuration tool (Icenhancer 2.0N has not I think), but I don't know how to configure to get better sunrise and sunset ligth. What I've seen until know Icenhancer 2.1 is only good for night light.

By the way, is there also a mod for better artificial intelligence?

Offline VaNilla

• next week m9
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 11:03:53 AM »
1. Patch 1.0.4.0 is used for full compatabilty with ENB (iCEnhancer is just an ENB config with renamed filetypes). If you use ENB on 1.0.7.0/EFLC it will still work, but you will experience 'red sky bugs' (the sky will turn red when the camera is pointed at specific angles), and Skylighting/SSAO wont work. You could keep two installations for both versions, but it's very complicated. Unless you're just playing in single player, you should stick to the latest patch. Also keep in mind that the use of mods will separate you from legitimate players in multiplayer.

2. It's subjective. As said before, iCEnhancer is exactly the same as ENB, except 'icelaglace' got permission to rename ENB's configuration files to the 'ICE' prefix, and created his own configuration. It's kind of pathetic how he got so much publicity off the back of somebody elses work, but hey, whatever. It's just a popular ENB config. I personally dislike his configuration, it looks really unbalanced in my opinion. I'll link my ENB settings below this Q&A, you might like them too :).

Another problem with settings like iCEnhancer is that they include a lot of extra 'shovelware' files, such as useless DDS texture files, traffic modifications and so on. It's quite sneaky, so you should always check what's been included with ENB configurations before installing them. If you use my configuration, the only files that get modified are the ones related to the ENB configuration (timecyc.dat, visualsettings.dat, ENB), so you know you can trust it.

3. Again, it's all subjective. I would say the default blood texture is the best.

4. Yes, there is. I'm not sure which is best, google it ;).

5. You can get simple timecycle modifications, ENB configs, and texture modifications. There's a lot of choice, so it's hard to know exactly what you're looking for. I've researched this ever since GTA IV came out, so hopefully I can give you some good recommendations. If you like ENB, I would stick to a purpose built ENB configuration, and if you don't I would try a timecyc mod such as 'VisualIV'. However, I think the default timecyc is far better than any of the timecyc mods currently available. Also, don't mix ENB configurations with timecyc mods. ENB configs usually include a custom timecyc, and overwriting that will cause problems.

On the other hand, you should definitely avoid most high resolution texture packs. Most of them aren't even high resolution, they're simply copies of the original textures run through a contrast filter, which actually degrades their overall quality. The best high resolution texture pack is created by DKT70. The resolution of his textures is much higher than the originals, and the style of his textures is quite close to the original style of the game. It's worth a try, but I wouldn't recommend it. As for car mods, it depends. If you're going to be posting GTAStunting videos, stick to the original vehicles/handling or you will be seen as a 'cheater' or 'modder'. If you're just playing for fun, there's a lot of cool car mods to try. All I can say is that you should search for 'Car Mod Packs' and try them out, see what you like.

6. There are no mods to improve the AI. It's all hardcoded in the behaviour/decision scripts.

Quote from: Shadowsniper @ GTAForums
Shadowsniper's GTA IV ENB Settings Gameplay
Shadowsniper's GTA IV ENB Settings Walkthrough

Hey guys, I've always loved Dpeasant's old 1.0c2 settings package for GTA IV, but as his settings have progressed I've always came back to these. In my opinion his timecyc is constantly getting better, but the over-contrasty enbeffect.fx file is a major step backwards. This is why I've uploaded this package, I want to get these settings back out into the open, as Dpeasant really did a great job on them.

I've been tweaking this over the years as new advancements have been made in shader technology for ENB series. You can see a full changelog from the original settings listed below. These settings are designed for version 1.0.4.0 of GTA IV, but also work with 1.0.7.0 and EFLC. However, as ENB is not designed to work with 1.0.7.0 some features will not work (Skylighting mainly), and when the camera is pointed at certain angles you will encounter rare 'red sky bugs'.

You can download these settings from the link in the description. I've included an install and uninstallation guide, and four different folders for four different versions of IV (Patch 1.0.4.0 (4), 1.0.7.0 (7), Episodes From Liberty City and Vice City Rage (EFLC). I've also included a full backup of the original files which are replaced by this modifcation. Enjoy! All credit for the files I used goes to Boris Vorontsov/Dpeasant3/DKT70/gp65cj04 for the original ENB modification files, and cimy_93 for the 1.0.7.0/EFLC shaders fix :)

Download link - http://www.mediafire.com/?lg762dsknfnuss0
IVSA Beta 3 Version - http://www.mediafire.com/?gc6e5u2fu42ygw8

Changelog:

Updated from ENB 0.79 to 0.82.
Removed effect.txt and replaced with FXAA code (antialiasing).
Applied Boris' motion blur fix to the enbeffect.fx.
Swapped DOF settings for gp65cj04's amazing real time code.
Included 'shaderinput' folder from Dpeasant's 1.02b pack, not sure if it does anything.
Updated lightsprite and tree settings to those from Dpeasant's 1.02b pack.
Changed stars amount to 0.3, much more realistic.

Todo List:

Optimize enbeffect.fx to reduce lag

- Shadowsniper @ www.youtube.com/justanotheraccount
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 11:06:38 AM by Shadowsniper »

Offline Helveticus

• I liek teh stuntz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 01:05:21 AM »
Thank you a lot, sir.

Has your ENB config also such a ugly sunset and sunrise? I want a orange sunrise. Ans is your config also such bright at daylight?

However, I think the default timecyc is far better than any of the timecyc mods currently available. Also, don't mix ENB configurations with timecyc mods. ENB configs usually include a custom timecyc, and overwriting that will cause problems.

What is timecyc? I thinkyou config also overwrites the timecyc.

Offline A maid

• Creator of Worlds
  • Defenestration penetration.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 06:34:50 AM »
What is timecyc? I thinkyou config also overwrites the timecyc.
Timecyc means the time cycle of the game. It changes the time and weather, the colors, etc.

Offline Helveticus

• I liek teh stuntz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 08:04:15 AM »
Does somebody know where I can get the textures of DKT70? Does he only made texture for roads?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal