Author Topic: AERONAUTS - 48 hours  (Read 5128 times)

Offline Blaze

• USS Crew
    • View Profile
    • Bike Gallery
Re: AERONAUTS - 48 hours
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2022, 01:31:42 AM »
In an ideal world this post would include a live reaction but the quality would be subpar considering I'd seen betas and was somewhat involved with the whole project, so hopefully this somewhat detailed rambling has some type of value to it.

Initial thoughts after watching were strong classic community vibes reminiscent of stuff like Connected, Interlocked, etc. Personally, intros in stunt videos have always been a bit hit or miss for me as they often end up being a convoluted mismatch of camhack angles and bad voiceovers with no real plot that just ends up padding the runtime and is ultimately skipped. You guys managed to put out the exact polar opposite; a well scripted into that ties into the theme of the video having time constraints, funny voiceover lines and an overall value that really sets the tone for the rest of the video.

Stunting wise I won't really get into it too much as it's a bit redundant given the amount of feedback received already, but it was a nice mix of older spots relanded with some new spots and ideas peppered in there for good measure. I will say though, for the longest time it always seemed like stunting was mostly split into two separate categories or disciplines; the bigair guys and the creative guys (obviously there is a large amount of semantics that goes into that, it's not black and white) - and then you get someone like Dannye who resides in his own box and has such an obscure yet fascinating way of finding spots and conjuring up ideas that realistically nobody else would ever have the mindset to think of. Most stunters interact with the environment around them whereas Dannye forces the environment to interact with him, and that plane of thinking opens up a pandora's box of opportunities for stunts.

It's also somewhat interesting to look at the progression of stunting and how a stunt such as the Trashmaster bump to condo roof in Staunton by Haywire was originally landed by Feron in 2009, was by all accounts a fairly mindblowing stunt residing in one of the best stunt videos of all time, and now stunts like that or of equal caliber can be landed relatively quickly for a 48 hour video.

Editing and production wise, I think you both managed to smash it out the park. Putting the flaws aside, taking on a project that rivals the length and replay count of community videos is no small undertaking and managing to edit and release it in such a short timeframe is even more impressive, and I wouldn't get hung up on a couple of camera shakes or slightly misaligned angles as I don't think they detracted from the video in any way, shape or form. The angles and framing were great, and it's brilliant to see a 2 person stunt that isn't confined to Freeplay static angles and Vegas cookie cutter plugin to bring the two together, so shout out to Simon for developing that tool and showing what can be done with it as it really opens up more avenues of creativity for editors to use in the future.

It's one of those projects where everything just works - the soundtrack pairing up with the stunts, angles flowing into one another and the pacing/ordering of the stunts all coming together to create a well rounded, cohesive and enjoyable video. I don't want to turn this into some half baked glory days nostalgia post, but it really did have the same feeling as say Hypokryts, Interlocked or any other community based project from that time which I guess it's a given when you have two stunters from that time period putting the video together. Like everything, it's all subjective but that era (07-09) was atleast to me the best era for editing - it was far enough into stuntings lifespan that people had got to grips with using proper editing software, but not too far ahead like when videos started focusing a bit too much on being a polished, professional production. It's refreshing to take it back and have a video that uses what would be considered the generic formula/template for a stunting video - solid intro, prog rock type of songs, borders with nametags etc. It might be a bit outdated now and maybe didn't hold up too well in older videos but for this project it worked great.

Overall, an absolutely brilliant video from start to finish with a solid turnout and effort from both stunters and editors alike, and I'm glad I managed to pull a stunt out of my ass at the 11th hour to be a part of it.

Offline puzzLe

• Veteran Member
  • Wasteland Heroes
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2022, 05:07:40 PM »
So many stunts for such a short time-frame, love to see it! The whole video was put together really well, with solid editing work by both of you and all the fun scripted sequences slotted throughout. Seeing Darkstar's tool in action was great, and it was especially satisfying to see those two stunts composited together without needing to limit the camerawork options (and I got a good chuckle at the end with the back and forth about sharing the roof).

Some editing highlights for me included the camerawork leading into the opening stunts of both parts; the transition from Darkstar's hotring docks stunt to Sheikah's downtown taxi ring in part 1, and the drumbeat-transition in part 2 going from my boat grind into Rainbow's stoppie to grind; the camerawork used to capture Max's LC taxi stunt in part 1; and how nicely you guys captured both of my vehicle-hit stunts! Favourite stunts for me had to include Sheeptea's Part 1 grind to csm bump to roof, Haywire's part 2 opener, and Sorcery's part 2 psm to ledgegrind.

All made for a good fun watch, nice work everyone!
And cheers to Sheikah for organising the project! I had a blast stunting on that weekend to get stuff for for it.

Much appreciated man! Very happy you enjoyed it and also very glad you're still around to be participating in these kinda videos with such enthusiasm and motivation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyMhZb9DlSY
Made a little reaction/commentary vid on the video and what the process was like for those interested ♥
That was great, I very much enjoyed getting the behind-the-scenes look at the project! As for the disappearing gun (which I must admit I hadn't actually noticed until you pointed it out), yeah that is strange. There is a Freeplay feature for showing/hiding player weapons - set to F10 in the last released version (moved elsewhere for an upcoming release) - but if that wasn't pressed then I'd say it indeed must be a bug of some sort.

Aaaaaah, that makes sense now, the F10 key is what I use to capture the instant replay with GeForce, explains a lot hahaha, thank you for clearing that up :lol:
Thanks for the kind words, brother.

In an ideal world this post would include a live reaction but the quality would be subpar considering I'd seen betas and was somewhat involved with the whole project, so hopefully this somewhat detailed rambling has some type of value to it.

Initial thoughts after watching were strong classic community vibes reminiscent of stuff like Connected, Interlocked, etc. Personally, intros in stunt videos have always been a bit hit or miss for me as they often end up being a convoluted mismatch of camhack angles and bad voiceovers with no real plot that just ends up padding the runtime and is ultimately skipped. You guys managed to put out the exact polar opposite; a well scripted into that ties into the theme of the video having time constraints, funny voiceover lines and an overall value that really sets the tone for the rest of the video.

Stunting wise I won't really get into it too much as it's a bit redundant given the amount of feedback received already, but it was a nice mix of older spots relanded with some new spots and ideas peppered in there for good measure. I will say though, for the longest time it always seemed like stunting was mostly split into two separate categories or disciplines; the bigair guys and the creative guys (obviously there is a large amount of semantics that goes into that, it's not black and white) - and then you get someone like Dannye who resides in his own box and has such an obscure yet fascinating way of finding spots and conjuring up ideas that realistically nobody else would ever have the mindset to think of. Most stunters interact with the environment around them whereas Dannye forces the environment to interact with him, and that plane of thinking opens up a pandora's box of opportunities for stunts.

It's also somewhat interesting to look at the progression of stunting and how a stunt such as the Trashmaster bump to condo roof in Staunton by Haywire was originally landed by Feron in 2009, was by all accounts a fairly mindblowing stunt residing in one of the best stunt videos of all time, and now stunts like that or of equal caliber can be landed relatively quickly for a 48 hour video.

Editing and production wise, I think you both managed to smash it out the park. Putting the flaws aside, taking on a project that rivals the length and replay count of community videos is no small undertaking and managing to edit and release it in such a short timeframe is even more impressive, and I wouldn't get hung up on a couple of camera shakes or slightly misaligned angles as I don't think they detracted from the video in any way, shape or form. The angles and framing were great, and it's brilliant to see a 2 person stunt that isn't confined to Freeplay static angles and Vegas cookie cutter plugin to bring the two together, so shout out to Simon for developing that tool and showing what can be done with it as it really opens up more avenues of creativity for editors to use in the future.

It's one of those projects where everything just works - the soundtrack pairing up with the stunts, angles flowing into one another and the pacing/ordering of the stunts all coming together to create a well rounded, cohesive and enjoyable video. I don't want to turn this into some half baked glory days nostalgia post, but it really did have the same feeling as say Hypokryts, Interlocked or any other community based project from that time which I guess it's a given when you have two stunters from that time period putting the video together. Like everything, it's all subjective but that era (07-09) was atleast to me the best era for editing - it was far enough into stuntings lifespan that people had got to grips with using proper editing software, but not too far ahead like when videos started focusing a bit too much on being a polished, professional production. It's refreshing to take it back and have a video that uses what would be considered the generic formula/template for a stunting video - solid intro, prog rock type of songs, borders with nametags etc. It might be a bit outdated now and maybe didn't hold up too well in older videos but for this project it worked great.

Overall, an absolutely brilliant video from start to finish with a solid turnout and effort from both stunters and editors alike, and I'm glad I managed to pull a stunt out of my ass at the 11th hour to be a part of it.

Thanks a lot for playing a huge part in the vibe of the video with your work on the bars and tags, that literally made all the difference.

As for the voicelines, like you said that's hit or miss for sure, that's why I really wanted to make sure everyone didn't just read a line but had full understanding of the context and scenario at hand. Very happy everyone's noses were in the same direction in that department.

Fun thing you touched on as well as DC in his live review is that thing about people these days just landing stunts that sent shockwaves throughout the community years ago and now they're just casually being landed for a time limited video, I think that really shows stunting is still growing as a whole even these days. I personally think there's a lot of room for more insane shit to be done except we don't really have the playing field to completely explore those possibilities with the standard 3 maps for stunting. Glad we're exploring new territory in map mods that fall outside of those three staple ones these days and I hope this community will churn out more and more bangers with all that at our disposal.

Thank you as well for the in-depth review man! <3
« Last Edit: August 21, 2022, 06:08:13 PM by puzzLe »

Offline Ltab-

• WH Crew
  • escrachado
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2022, 02:19:30 PM »
Haywire's stunts looked modded
Darkstar fucked uped editing with too much dark and blury picture
all others guys done great job, stunts was ok but best part for me was cut scenes, i always love see some scripting, nice acting and great humour, which was all together in this video

The blurriness is sadly the result of combining the 2 parts since we both use different editing software and had no way to merge the actual projects so I put his .mp4 into my project and then rendered it. Glad you enjoyed the skits though :a-cheer:

Darkstar you should upload your part to youtube, i'd like to watch it on the original quality :)

Offline Jason

• V.I.P. Member
  • Grains in the hourglass.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2022, 11:30:23 PM »
https://youtu.be/oW702RHoSmw

Please excuse the scaling of the window capture being scuffed as shit

Also PS: I landed my stunts in 12 hours :)

PSS: I show my unused stunt at the end
« Last Edit: August 24, 2022, 12:06:53 AM by Jason »

Offline puzzLe

• Veteran Member
  • Wasteland Heroes
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2022, 04:28:56 PM »
https://youtu.be/oW702RHoSmw

Please excuse the scaling of the window capture being scuffed as shit

Also PS: I landed my stunts in 12 hours :)

PSS: I show my unused stunt at the end

Holy crap, I thought you were on vacation somewhere but you were working hard as hell :lol:

Thanks for the reaction brother, was fun as fuck to watch <33 Unfortunately the skippy frames were on our ends, in Simon's render and in some of my actual recorded clips, still not sure how that happened, it was after the matter that I realized something was off in my part, oh well. Another lesson learned I guess, happy you're back though and thanks again for taking the time even after working yourself to shit ♥

Offline legendz

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2022, 11:15:27 PM »
Yooo very enjoyable video here! Editing was pretty much okay, especially that you guys are not so familiar with the editing field. Stunting-wise my favs were: Ltab's grind combo, Gryzlek's grind combos, Krypton's stuff, Max's stuff, Turbo's freeway prec. Intro was funny, the whole video's vibe was amazing, I really felt like I was watching a community video. Congratz everyone involved! :wub:

Offline Skuller

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2022, 05:00:15 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyMhZb9DlSY

Made a little reaction/commentary vid on the video and what the process was like for those interested ♥
A bit late reply from me.. however. Great review! And yeah you don't remember seeing my stunt cuz it's new. Glad you liked it! :)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2022, 05:08:37 PM by Skuller »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal