Author Topic: FPS and 14 ms  (Read 4094 times)

Offline SoLoD

• Fan of 2008 SA stunting. Fan of 2011 video editing
    • View Profile
FPS and 14 ms
« on: January 12, 2021, 03:37:02 PM »
So, i've been reading those topics/posts about silent patch and other things, SS's posts about SA and VC and everything else, why VC stunters use FL ON, and SA FL OFF. But one thing is totally unclear for me. Just like was said, SA has 14 ms delay between frames. 1 second = 1000 ms. 1000/14 = 71. So, game can draw 71 different frames per 1 second at best. But why is it common to say that highest FPS in game is ~140 (have heard it many times)? Why it is 2 times higher than it should be? The only possible explanation is that it is your PC that draws 140, but since game gives you only 70, every 2 frames will be the same. But if frames are different? Just like SS said decade ago, there is some shit affecting that 14 ms SA's delay, that is the only explanation.

Now, i am making this new topic to see if after those 10 years it is clear what is going on in SA? Because, it is pretty easy to find out if there are 140 different frames per second or they are double'd. If your PC can draw 140, put 70 FPS limit with some program, and if you will see defference, then there are 140 different frames, and SA works not how it supposed to work.

p.s. is it true that samp has "pre-installed" silent patch that removes 14 ms delay by default?

Offline Rainbow

• Coeur de taxi
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/Rainbowstunting
Re: FPS and 14 ms
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 04:25:11 PM »
No idea about most of it, but I remember DC saying that anything above 70fps didn't make a difference a long long time ago and I never observed a difference between 80 and 120-140 myself. Always got the same stats and attempts and my RADs was unaffected as well. But I don't stunt in SA regularly so take it with a grain of salt.

Offline SoLoD

• Fan of 2008 SA stunting. Fan of 2011 video editing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 05:18:33 PM »
I aint know a thing how SA works, but as far as i understand, FPS represents speed at which SA works on your PC.
When you have 70 FPS, between frames there are 14 ms. So, your PC works only with frame 1 (0 ms) and frame 2 (14 ms). It has speed (and velocity), acceleration and everything else at point 1 (frame 1) and it is doing "math" to find out velocity-accelertion-else at point 2 (frame 2).
Now, if you have 140 FPS, there are 7 ms between frames. If we take same process we had with 70 FPS, we will have frame 1 (0 ms), frame 2 (7 ms) and frame 3 (14 ms). And do you really think that velocity-acceleration-else after 14 ms with 70 and 140 FPS will be the same? If there is 7 ms delay, between 0 ms and 14 ms there will be additional "math step". The lower ms delay we will take, the better representation we will get of our "run-up". When we ride on some plain surface, difference will be 0. But what if run-up goes up and down, has many "curbs" and everything else? As i can see it, this is why higher FPS helps you to "avoid" curbs on run-up (because there is more math steps and representation of run-up is more smooth).

Now, we know that with higher FPS you stops faster. Why? Because game has only data (speed-acceleration-else) only on those exact "frames". At 0 ms game knows you touch the ground, so it decreases your speed by, lets say, 1%. After 14 ms there is next frame, and again game gives you 1% decrease because you are on the ground. But what if delay was 7 ms? Between 0 ms and 14 ms there will be additional frame with additional 1% decrease. And the same goes with grinds.

Now, lets get a situation when our speed and ms delay is such that some frame exists before bump, and next frame exists after bump. When we are on frame "before bump", game has our "speed-acceleration-else". Then it does "math", it has our current coordinates and knows there must be a "bump". So, it changes our direction, but only at frame "after the bump". So, if framerate will be low as fuck, i guess it will looks like you went through the bump, and only after that you started to fly upward (or fall down from bike).
And the bigger FPS we will have, the closer to actual bump we will start to ascend. So, bigger FPS "describes" actual run-up in a better, smoother way.

OR everything above is bullshit and has nothing to do with how SA actually works. I do not know if game do math only on "frames", i do not know how it works with run-up between frames (on frames it can calculate your actual position if it knows map, but what is happening between frames it can only take into consideration on the next frame).

Offline Lex

• No longer active
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2021, 03:49:54 AM »
Vanilla could answer this I guess

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal