Author Topic: Why do you continue to stunt?  (Read 5907 times)

Offline Airbrush

• View Profile
Why do you continue to stunt?
« on: September 01, 2023, 04:26:54 AM »
A friend in my personal life asked me this very question the other week and it took me a bit to answer.

San Andreas as of writing this is 19 years old and Vice City is 21 years old. I've played games here, there, and everywhere in between but I always find my way back to stunting.

For me I think what I get from stunting is the satisfaction of landing something I've been trying for hours upon hours or even seeing an idea I had come to light in a video format and being able to show that to friends/fellow stunters. I think stunting scratches that creative itch for me that painters, sculptors, or writers have.

I don't imagine I'll still be on this forum in 10 years nor do I think majority of us will be here but it's fun for the time being. Maybe we'll all collectively find another game to continue this format of video creation/collaboration.

With that all being said I now pass the question on to you, why do you continue to stunt after all this time?

Offline Cooper

• Veteran Member
  • fumo porro meto drop bump
    • View Profile
Re: Why do you continue to stunt?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2023, 07:20:55 AM »
I'm a complete GTA geek freak fan, I fell in love with VC and III as soon as I played them, and seems like I can't let them go. SA is awesome too but its not really my style. I find stunting very addictive and the atmospheres/styles people achieve with editing is incredible too.

Offline Herb

• Nothingness
  • Veteran Member
  • I'm not living in Heaven, I'm living in Hell.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2023, 09:49:06 AM »
Community and it's a fun creative outlet

Offline Sport

• Veteran Member
  • I love fat cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2023, 11:38:14 AM »
A few years ago I wondered why people play the same game over and over again for many years in terms of psychology and I found a very interesting answer on one of the forums. When you play the same game or watch the same movie, series you know what to expect from it, you don't get stressed by unexpected things, you feel comfortable, relaxed and you know what's going to happen next. For me, there are several such games and one of them is all parts of the GTA series in the form of a replay of the storyline and also in the form of stunting in SA and VC. Stunting also helps me develop creative thinking, a different way of looking at things, because in ordinary life I don't have creative hobbies like photography, drawing and so on. While the community is alive and collabs are being organized, I try to participate in each of them by doing at least one stunt, or if I get inspiration (the last time this happened in Meanmachines and TDRVC collab), then several :). I only stunt when there are active collabs, I don't just stunt, I need a reason. Also, when I'm stunting, I can relax and listen to music, podcasts, or just think about something.

In general, stunting for me is a way to develop creative thinking and relax.

Offline Conatus

• Brassica oleracea var. botrytis
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2023, 12:08:48 PM »
I've found that many end up coming back, even if it's just for the duration of a video project. I think for many, this community has left its mark. I myself have never found an equivalent elsewhere, and yet I've seen so many in 25 years on the Internet. The only community where I've found similarities, whether in the style of the videos, the notion of sharing creation or the idea of standardizing a practice, is the Counter Strike 1.5 community. In fact, I invite you to take a look at the similarities between CS frag movie and old gtastunting videos. All this to say that a community like this, bringing together so many disciplines (video editing, graphics, coding, 3D modeling and even audio creation in some cases) around a game, is not common.

To answer your question, I came back after a 13-year absence, mainly out of nostalgia. What's more, of all the communities I've been in, it's the only one that's still holding out against the invaders of what has become the Internet, but that's for another old fart debate.

Offline KompoT

• All truly strong people are kind.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2023, 01:23:04 PM »
For me, stunting was a way of putting my emotions/feelings or thoughts into the videos, style and editing, a way of expressing myself, and it stayed that way with every video, you begin recording, you get the feeling behind it, you follow it, and you get the end result ( p.s its hard to stop once you start  :happy: )

dont know how long i will stick around for, maybe for years or maybe im already gone, predicting this is very difficult because you can always find yourself back here as PaTt already mentioned, for now im just back to studies, we'll have to see what comes after  :P

Offline Insan

• freeworld
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2023, 06:43:22 PM »
I was going to give an egocentric answer but I won the seriousness jajaj
I do this because the truth is, if you pay attention, there are a lot of things that havent landed yet (although with everyones current level, its only a matter of time) and it calms me down and de-stresses me a lot just looking for ideas I could waste hours just looking for shit just with a mtb, and last summer I showed it to myself: I like looking more than landing

Offline waNEr

• ok
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2023, 01:12:40 AM »
I've made incredible friends stunting, some i've met in person already, some i will eventually, and lurking the forum and stunting by myself always brings me some kind of joy and memories.

Offline Angle.Fire

• Veteran Member
  • Never Mind
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2023, 03:39:14 AM »
For me stunting in VC is a way to escape the monotonous day and have some fun. You can play all the games you want but you'll never get the satisfaction of stunting from these games. Sometimes I get frustrated trying a spot for hours and leaving it but then coming back with clear mind and getting closer to landing it. It's too satisfying.

Also community here is amazing. I've built my music taste over the years watching stunt videos. I think i never could've found it anywhere else. I always dream of doing a stunt video and it drives me to continue stunting.

It's great to be able to chat with stunters and have their insight on specific spots or talk about old videos. Everyone trying to be helpful to each other.

Long live GTAS  :mellow:

Offline DeathCobra

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2023, 09:52:12 AM »

Offline Demo00n

• ``````````````````````````````````````````````````
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2023, 10:53:38 AM »
It's an escape from reality.
Whether u do grinds or wallrides or 200ft bumps.
These are all unrealistic things IRL (ofc bmx can do grinds and some people can do wallrides etc but not the way u can do it in gta games GL doing this shit like u do in gta with a dirt bike) also the gta franchise puts alot of effort into the game it self and the logic behind it (ye lots of bugs ik) most games nowadays put most of their effort into graphics.
Some days I find my self looking at the street and thinking: "Hmm, what if I used that curb and little wall to get a double bump and land on those solar panels on that roof." Yes very random but thats besides the point, stunting it self is a way to express yourself whether ur aware of it or not. I'll give u an example: Taz was a very dedicated person in san andreas and vice city, which can mean alot of other things like he barely goes outside and "touch grass" but the point still stands that his dedication is impressive. You also have people that just drive or fly around the map and hit random stuff they find for 5 minutes and move onto the next thing, like I said with Taz there might be negative things but there are tons of positive things aswell to this person such as: They try alot of things and if it doesnt work out they move on, They keep trying until something works out (there is dedication in this aswell ofcourse but trying the same stunt for 800 hours is a bit more tedious imo).
Idk where tf I went with this but this is my answer I guess.

Btw I tried sticking to Gta and srry for stuff I wrote wrong
Thanks for reading

Br,

Demonstraqui
« Last Edit: September 04, 2023, 10:55:35 AM by Demo00n »

Offline Skuller

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2023, 05:53:22 PM »
Not really stunting at all right now but I came back in 2019 for the nostalgia and I had the time for it.

Offline Faiz

• DSS Crew
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2023, 08:17:02 AM »
It's an escape from reality.
Whether u do grinds or wallrides or 200ft bumps.
These are all unrealistic things IRL (ofc bmx can do grinds and some people can do wallrides etc but not the way u can do it in gta games GL doing this shit like u do in gta with a dirt bike) also the gta franchise puts alot of effort into the game it self and the logic behind it (ye lots of bugs ik) most games nowadays put most of their effort into graphics.
Some days I find my self looking at the street and thinking: "Hmm, what if I used that curb and little wall to get a double bump and land on those solar panels on that roof." Yes very random but thats besides the point, stunting it self is a way to express yourself whether ur aware of it or not. I'll give u an example: Taz was a very dedicated person in san andreas and vice city, which can mean alot of other things like he barely goes outside and "touch grass" but the point still stands that his dedication is impressive. You also have people that just drive or fly around the map and hit random stuff they find for 5 minutes and move onto the next thing, like I said with Taz there might be negative things but there are tons of positive things aswell to this person such as: They try alot of things and if it doesnt work out they move on, They keep trying until something works out (there is dedication in this aswell ofcourse but trying the same stunt for 800 hours is a bit more tedious imo).
Idk where tf I went with this but this is my answer I guess.

Btw I tried sticking to Gta and srry for stuff I wrote wrong
Thanks for reading

Br,

Demonstraqui
awesome speech man, it isn't wrong a thing, we here are all feel the same, stunting has taught me many
good things, the virtues that every one should have which are the power of imagination, taught me how to be strong, patience and persistent, never give up, you can achieve any goal [but it must be logical and realistic ofc] :D and English ofc, even tho i'm not that good at it
« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 09:32:06 AM by Faiz »

Offline Erwin

• aka Kage
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2023, 02:18:03 PM »
Just as in history we see a painting as a reflection or result of the myriad of brush techniques, creativity, and need for self-expression that painter employs, so we have seen stunt videos in this community for many years. Some stunts don't break the mold, while others are proof that game mechanics that have been memorized for so many years can still be used in a different way and create something unique. Unfortunately, since the rate of utilization of objects and areas in the game is at a very high level, stunters may not be able to continue with the love and excitement they used to, even though they find a great desire to perform this art. However, I have enough spots to express myself, if I don't completely lose the desire in me, I don't want to leave without sharing it with this community, if we consider this community as a very large art exhibition, it is my greatest wish to have a painting on the wall.

Offline TurBo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2023, 03:46:51 AM »
It's been the ultimate escapist paradise whenever I've needed to disengage. Admittedly way less relevant for me in the past few years which is why my stunting stints have been shortened / become more sparse in direct correlation to me phasing out gaming and taking upon myself most adult responsibilities and embarking on real life ''grinds'' so to speak. I'm all but done and wrapped up having completed my participation in the final MO video and nearly wrapped up another couple of videos which are [hopefully] both due prior to the end of this year. I believe I've put a cap on it and will no longer stunt after I wrap up this year's crop.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal