Author Topic: Blast From The Past: Quattro  (Read 3980 times)

Offline m3rrix

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Blast From The Past: Quattro
« on: February 24, 2011, 05:43:27 AM »
This week's blast from the past was selected and written by NuclearDeath.

Released in 2005, Quattro is the first video that comes to my mind when I think about a GTAS classic. Made by Samurai, Kaneda, Aries and Omni, this four man collab represents pretty well how stunting was back then when un-modded sections still had something to offer. As if, for one and only video, they were a crew. Quattro reminds you that you don't need to be 20 random guys who don't know each other and who land only one stunt each, then ask some random editor to do a cool stunting video.

In this kind of video, what really matters in not how great the stunts are but how well they get together. Of course, to make a video that can hold the distance you need a few standouts. In this case the co-best stunters of the year award winners manage to pull them off perfectly. Indeed, 2005 was the most active year stuntingwise for Kaneda and Samurai, both made some of the best vice city ever this  year, they were at their top. (Btw, the notable stunts in this video are obvious, no need to point them out.)

Samurai's editing science is key here. The guy knew exactly how to catch viewer's attention without burning their eyes, he wasn't the kind of editor who throw one thousand of different effect. He would just pick songs that feat his editing style perfectly, putting each stunts are at the right place with the good angle to give them the credit they deserve. It seems like he tried to do re-create the same atmosphere with Lagoon, trying to make the viewer feel like if he was in-game instead of giving the impression of watching a Hollywood superproductions.

This video didn't redefined stunting but it's a perfect example of how a stunting video perfectly get together.

Further viewing :
  • Connected
  • Touch of a Samurai
  • Trial by Fire
  • Atelophobia (Kinda like Quattro but in SA)

Quattro

Offline VaNilla

• next week m9
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
Re: Blast From The Past: Quattro
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 06:14:53 AM »
I think this was one of the first VC videos I watched, really good :P

Offline Dimension

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 07:07:49 AM »
i like this old stuntingvideos

Offline sony

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 07:44:42 AM »
Sam knows how to add feeling to a stunting video, just like Kert. Their editing always blows me away.
As for this video: perfect from every single aspect.
Nice choice ND.

Offline Reynard The Fox

• Reynolds
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 07:53:47 AM »
I think I never even watched this! :P Shame really. Great read/watch.

Offline Laketown

• Veteran Member
  • the impostress
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 08:01:05 AM »
Too bad aries stunts were mostly terrible

Offline Kingjad

• Veteran Member
  • Fat Bastard
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 08:20:59 AM »
I was speaking regularly with Matt (Aries) at the time and he was mega-excited at the time when this was being planned, but he was also mega-paranoid his stunts would let down Kaneda and Sam. Omni he was kinda friends with in real life, or at least knew him anyways, both of them being English, but his main concern was not letting down two of his stunting idols and he kept whinging bout how he dragged the vid down. I remember telling him to shut up and enjoy having been in a sweet video with sweet stunters.

I still maintain that from 2:54 onwards in Quattro, everything's just perfect - the atmosphere, the stunts, the editing, music, all blends wonderfully. You're right Nuc, Samurai is a brilliant editor for just getting everything right - it's why this video's so good, it's why Connected and Lagoon are so wonderful too.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 08:58:32 PM by Kingjad »

Offline Raskal

• Furniture Cadet
  • Veteran Member
  • I like stuff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 09:18:50 AM »
Quattro was always one of my favourite stunt videos. It always had a warm full feeling about it, always a good watch.

Offline NuclearDeath

• TMS Member
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 09:19:42 AM »
Thank you guys and m3rrix for posting this.

Btw, I read it again and saw a few typos, anyone can correct them ?

Offline TrYp

• Veteran Member
  • X
    • View Profile
    • http://sampforum.hu
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 09:30:04 AM »
That ambulance kick thing is still one of the most epicest things I've ever seen. Definietly one of the best videos ever released.

Offline kaneda

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 11:45:11 AM »
Wow...I haven't watched Quattro in a while now, so thanks for posting ND. I'm in total agreement with the comments about Sam's editing. The true practice of editing is finding the right timing and balance to give the vid a nice flow. Quality and effects are the job of the editing suite being used.

FYI: No one in this vid gave a tinker's damn about the stunts submitted - it was much more about the energy and enthusiasm everyone brought to the project.

Offline BloodyHook12

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 12:58:08 PM »
Definitely one of the videos in my favorites folder. I will never get over the way samurai makes everything flow so smoothly in a video. It's pretty much unmatched.

Offline Madmax

• Veteran Member
  • Pizzaboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 08:00:39 PM »
Kans wallride with the heli bump still gives me boners.

Offline Srcry

• DUSTED
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2011, 12:32:25 AM »
That P2B to big cliff drop is really cool. It's fuckin' awesome towards the middle when the song goes into that guitar solo thing and it shows a really good stunt from everyone. final rating: 12/10
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 12:41:01 AM by tallanominal »

Offline Jason

• V.I.P. Member
  • Grains in the hourglass.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2011, 01:14:30 AM »
Also one of my first stunt vids. One of my all time favourites for sure. Samurai's editing is just so silky smooth.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal