Author Topic: Problem playing .AVI files  (Read 1064 times)

Offline Dan

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Problem playing .AVI files
« on: April 19, 2008, 10:30:05 AM »
Ive never normally had troubles playing AVI files in windows media player, stunt movies and films were fine. Until about a week ok I brought myself an Ipod Nano, and uh "bought" some episodes of scrubs then attempted to put them on my ipod.

Of course to go on your ipod they have to be in .MP4 format. So I downloaded a convertor called Alive Video Converter which worked fine and everything went on my ipod perfectly. After getting sick of watching on the small screne I decide to watch the originals on my computer but when I load them up I get a windows has encounted a problem, I forgot to mention that before I converted them I could watch the originals. I thought wierd but it may just be that one file so I tried the other files and of course the same problems.

In an attempt to over come my problem I downloaded a few more players
Quick time player - Additional software is required for QuickTime to play back this media
Media player classic - Media player classic has encounterd a problem and needs to close
Zoom Player - Access Violation at address 0000000 read of address 0000000

So now im like, dude wtf  

After searching on google there had been suggestions to download codecs, so after downloading many codec packs and wasting hours of my time I attempt to watch them again, and of course I get the same problem. I left it for a week being bored of trying to figure it out when I downloaded Benders Big Score and attempted to play that and of course got the same problem again.

I downloaded GSpot which indentfies which codecs are needed to play the file. I add the eposides of scrubs in and it says something like all the codecs that are required to play this file are present, so I add the movie in and the same thing comes up.

So I have the necessary codecs according to GSpot and I have tried on many different players. What really anoys me is that it worked before and the problem is only recent.

Any help will be appreciated. I took a long arse time writing this all so some response would be nice  
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 10:32:53 AM by Dan »

Offline atomlab

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 10:46:01 AM »
Try VLC Media player.

Offline Krow+

• The Only Douchebag Allowed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 11:02:22 AM »
VLC isn't the answer to everything, plus the fact that there are others that play 200% better. As for this problem at hand, I don't know what the hell happened.

Offline GT-7

• Old fart from the past
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 11:42:41 AM »
DivX Player?

Offline Dan

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 03:45:54 PM »
Nethier worked

Offline GT-7

• Old fart from the past
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 11:13:32 PM »
Weird, maybe trying to convert the .AVI file into some different form?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 11:14:06 PM by GT-7 »

Offline Dan

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 09:13:27 AM »
yeh when the scrubs eposides are converted to MP4 it works but when I converted the film and tried to play it I got an error saying the data is corrupt or invalid :S

Offline GT-7

• Old fart from the past
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 09:20:19 AM »
Well, since im not that computer genious, i can't help you anymore.

Offline Dan

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008, 09:28:57 AM »
No prob man, appreciate it anyway

Offline atomlab

• View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008, 11:09:48 AM »
not sure if im right and i dont know too much about it but you might need to download a codec.

Offline Zaelee

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2008, 12:55:01 PM »
Oh this happen to me either, but I downloaded codec pack all in 1 and everything is fine now.
Did you downloaded all in 1?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal