Author Topic: The Art of Editing: A Chat With WaRoW  (Read 7077 times)

Offline __JREN

• Beyond Tomorrow
    • View Profile
Re: The Art of Editing: A Chat With WaRoW
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2011, 02:10:34 PM »
Thanks merrix for sharing this with us! That was really awesome of you :wub:
Well, talking in general, I think WaRoW is such an inspiration to every editor that takes editing seriously :ajaja:

That was amazing to read, and some of the tips that WaRoW said here, he already said them to me while ago.
And now on I'm really gonna try to do what you say..

I'm kinda like you I consider "editing as a job", I consider editing like an art!
I always listen to songs first to get ideas to the video..

But then I just record 3 cam angles on each stunt and I start editing with every effect that comes to my mind. AND THAT'S NOT GOOD AT ALL!

I think everyone (who takes editing serious) should put the soul in the video and create some kind of art and atmosphere with it! :ajaja:

"Fallow the Master if you want to be the Master"

Offline DaredevilX

• XTRMNTR
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2011, 05:32:03 AM »
Lol people, why are you getting so hyped up? That's just warow's opinion on these subjects. It's your choice to value them or not, no one's forcing you.

@ merrix, I'm not saying you have no idea what you're talking about but... two takes it is by far not the best video of '10 stunting-wise.

That's, like, my opinion man.
Exactly, but you don't really tend to point that out in text so it looks more like a "report" instead of a blog, and reporters are all about staying neutral / objective.

It's still an awesome idea to do a blog on editing and as your other topics I think it lightens the place up. Cheers.

Offline VaNilla

• next week m9
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2011, 07:00:23 AM »
Two Takes It is for me the best SA video of 2010.

Need any more be said?

Offline MaCi

• V.I.P. Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2011, 07:41:50 AM »
I never got the chance to reply in the Two Takes It -topic, but I must honestly say that the few gray slow-mo seconds with Ennio Morricone's Chi Mai,  is probably the most brilliant and beautiful thing I've seen when it comes to stunting movies.

Interesting read, by the way.

Offline iAndy

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2011, 10:48:16 AM »
I just love it how WaRoW said: "F*ck convensional editing... I don't give a flying duck about one CC, let's try 16"
Love the video man, just love it.
Creativity is the most important thing.
Great great great great job mate... keep it going

Offline BloodyHook12

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2011, 02:06:11 PM »
That was pretty cool. I don't really like watching SA videos so really the editing is quite important to me. Probably the biggest advantage this video had was the amount of music on it. Clearly the editing depended heavily on the music and there was much variety to give suspense and entertainment. I didn't read the chat but I'm sure this guy wanted to do something non-standard, which is usually good. And sometimes you can't make up your mind and you make a video with 12 songs in them lol.

But yeah the video had pretty much everything. I very much liked the little comments underneath at the start. Good use of effects and pretty much perfect synchronization with the music. Because yeah, you can change the song however many times you want, but if your editing doesn't change with it, you're not really doing much with the video. So good job pulling that off.

Offline WhiteOut

• GO! HARD!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2011, 02:06:02 PM »
Epic  :wub:

Offline Samurai

• ATS Crew
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2011, 05:08:27 AM »
Interesting read.  Thanks m3rrix for taking the time to interview and WaRow for obliging.

It is always a matter of taste. Some content can be elevated with great editing, sometimes the content says it all itself and doesn't need any editing. There are thousands of examples of this in movies.

Some editing is wild, loud, in your face, and ACTIVE.

Some editing is subtle, minimal, is calm.

Some can say, thats boring and bland,

and some can say, thats A.D.D. and is distracting.

Some like Coca Cola, some like Pepsi....etc

IE. Psycho shower - scene                             - over 90 cuts
     The Graduate   - the ending scene           -  it just sits there on the two with an unknown outcome.

Both cases, it creates an atmosphere that is concretized and harmonious OR dissonant with the content and hopefully immerses the viewer into intended ride.

I like both at different times for different reasons, as long as it ELEVATES the content.

To me, stunt vids are "STUNT" vids. I have always wanted to mess around and make more "EDITING" vids, but just was always outweighed by the ideals on the stunt side. I think a bit of both is ideal, so keep on trying things people :P

Really enjoyed the vid. Glad you had fun making it, and people enjoyed watching it. That's whats important.

Glad there were no "shakes" and loved the bit at the end with CJ.

I had a similar idea for the sketch show.

Edit and have fun everyone but FFS, try to put a little more thought into an intro then just inserting a name over the player........Just push yourself to be more creative or dive right into the stunting  :lol:

and that is just like, my opinion man.
/abide
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 05:16:29 AM by Samurai »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal