Author Topic: Freeplay  (Read 83016 times)

Offline Dannye

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Freeplay
« Reply #330 on: September 01, 2022, 07:08:11 AM »
The second beta release of Freeplay version 7 for Vice City is now available.

Download: VC Freeplay v7 Beta 2 with source, via ModDB

This is a smaller update compared to the first v7 beta, however it still contains a number of new features, updated features, and general usability improvements. Once again I am referring to it as a 'beta' as I still have not had time to properly update the official HTML documentation file, and as such (just like with Beta 1) the details of the changes made in this release are noted in a changelog-like plaintext file. (For reference, this package includes not only its specific help/changelog file, but also the Beta 1 version, and the outdated v6 HTML file).

General Usability Improvements:
  • Now able to use EITHER "Shift" key (aka for any feature whose button trigger involved "Right Shift", you can now use "Left Shift" if you'd prefer).
  • Removed chance of accidentally triggering an additional feature when interacting with one via a Numpad number key.
  • Improved responsiveness of using multiple features simultaneously.

New Features:
  • Replay Looback: Allows playback to automatically return to the start upon hitting the end of the replay file, rather than ending.
  • Quick-Restart: Like above, but manually triggered at any time during playback to return to the start prior to reaching the end.
  • Breakpoint Jumping: Lets Breakpoints essentially become "chapter markers" that you can immediately jump playback backward/forward to (as long as you have encountered them at least once during the playback).
  • Greenscreen: The entire gameworld no longer renders, with the exception of Peds/Vehicles, and the empty space is coloured one single solid colour (to assist a colour-masking approach to compositing stunts in editing), with support for changing/customising the colour used.
  • Some other minor stuff (disabling shadows, disabling particles, saving/loading mouse movements along an axis).

Updated Features:
  • Ped and Vehicle Invisibility can now be toggled independently (and both features now work much better than before).
  • Rain-Steam Invisibility feature is simplified (no more need for two different triggers/approaches).
  • Some existing features have had their assigned buttons changed.

See the included help file for further details/hints/caveats/etc on all of these.

Any feedback or questions are welcome.

Cheers

Offline Max_

• relax reflex
    • View Profile
    • Youtube HP
« Reply #331 on: September 01, 2022, 09:13:22 PM »
Absolutely fantastic additions once again. Also enjoy to read through your changelogs and really understand the functionality/use cases. Your explanations are spot on
Thanks Dannye!

Offline Ezraph2001

• oh my gosh don't you know i'm a CABBAGE?
    • View Profile
    • stan nmixx
« Reply #332 on: September 02, 2022, 03:02:22 AM »
noice

Offline Jason

• V.I.P. Member
  • 720° or reland.
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: September 02, 2022, 10:47:26 PM »
Truly the man when it comes to ease of life additions to the game.

I have but one request for the next release; could we please have a more interactive UI for the external program? A feature I would LOVE is programmable hotkeys. There are a handful of features I will always turn on when I begin filming, or will need to keep turning on with each replay (such as weather, time), or some hotkeys get in the way of other windows functions or game inputs. How possible is it to introduce a programming menu where we can force default states of each feature, and allow us to choose our own hotkeys, including setting multiple features to the same hotkey?

Offline Dannye

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: September 05, 2022, 07:01:05 AM »
Thanks for the kind words all!  :happy:

I have but one request for the next release; could we please have a more interactive UI for the external program? A feature I would LOVE is programmable hotkeys. There are a handful of features I will always turn on when I begin filming, or will need to keep turning on with each replay (such as weather, time), or some hotkeys get in the way of other windows functions or game inputs. How possible is it to introduce a programming menu where we can force default states of each feature, and allow us to choose our own hotkeys, including setting multiple features to the same hotkey?
Something like that would definitely be great to have, but the hurdle has always been that I unfortunately don't have any experience with doing GUI stuff in C++ (from trying to get my head around it, it seems significantly more complicated than doing command-line-only stuff). That said, I still would love Freeplay to have some sort of customisation like what you've described, so I am keen to try and figure out ways to do it even without a GUI... perhaps something along the lines of a settings file that can be edited - it might not be perfect, but a step in the right direction at least (I certainly would not miss the absurdity that was having to memorise/repeat a big string of keypresses everytime I started a new recording session while working on the Throwback video :lol:). I'm definitely gonna look into this.

In regards to the Weather issue:
Having to re-set it for each replay I think stems from a combination of how I implemented the feature in Freeplay and also how I did the related feature in the USCM as well. I must try to revisit that stuff, but as a (hopefully temporary) workaround for the time being, from my experience you can get away with only having to set the weather once per recording session (assuming you are wanting the same weather type for each replay you capture) by making use of the USCM: while in normal gameplay (not watching a replay), use the USCM feature for cycling through weather types to set it to the one you're after, then enable Freeplay's "Weather Control" toggle directly (as opposed to just using Freeplay to activate a specific Weather type, which automatically enables "Weather Control" at the same time), and that should do it, one-and-done.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal