Author Topic: May I just remind everyone...  (Read 6550 times)

Offline Art  

• Banned
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: May I just remind everyone...
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2013, 06:37:30 AM »
"woah that was boring" clearly states the video was boring to a group of people, and everyone can get that advice from this comment to is to make video not boring - more dynamic, powerful etc.

jeez guys, do every post has to be a fucking 30 lines rant stating that video was boring and shit?

Offline RedX

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2013, 07:30:25 AM »
Following this logic there's no point in leaving a simple comment like "I liked it" because i didn't explain why i think it's good.

I don't agree. Sometimes I really can't be bothered to elaborate on why I thought a video was good, but by simply expressing my affection for it I'm letting the author of the video know that I think he's doing good and should continue with whatever he's doing. I usually write short positive comments on videos where I thought everything was good or great (ranges where I'd rate 7.5-10/10)

A post that just says "I didn't like it" leaves the author clueless as to what was wrong, and chances are he'll end up doing the very same mistakes* for his next video.

*mistakes from your point of view at least, what's good and bad is subjective

"woah that was boring" clearly states the video was boring to a group of people, and everyone can get that advice from this comment to is to make video not boring - more dynamic, powerful etc.

jeez guys, do every post has to be a fucking 30 lines rant stating that video was boring and shit?

There are literally a million different reasons why someone could find a video boring. There's no one way to make a video that's not boring, and we all have our own views on what makes a video more or less entertaining*. If you thought the video was boring you should let the author know why.

*I value diversity as one of the most important aspects of a video, others might find a video boring if there are no bigairs, others might simply find a video boring if the song was too slow, some would find it boring that there were too many grabs, or taxi boosts, some would say a video was boring because all the stunts were shown twice etc etc etc

And no of course you don't have to write 30 lines lol. We're all able to compress our opinion into a few sentences if we should want to do so. Of course a detailed post is always more helpful than a brief post.

If your post isn't helpful in any way, why would you want the author to read it? We're supposed to make posts on videos for the sake of the authors, not to glorify ourselves and make it seem like our own opinion is so damn important and we know better than this fool who couldn't even make a proper video! These days it seems like many folks just write comments to troll or be assholes, whatever fulfilment that may give them I really have no idea.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 07:40:58 AM by RedX »

Offline Sava

• Veteran Member
  • me tbh
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2013, 08:56:22 AM »
Following this logic there's no point in leaving a simple comment like "I liked it" because i didn't explain why i think it's good.
A post that just says "I didn't like it" leaves the author clueless as to what was wrong, and chances are he'll end up doing the very same mistakes* for his next video.
A post saying 'I like it', tells the author exactly what was good about  his content? And unless a person said a video was perfect, there is still stuff to improve on and the author doesn't get to know about it, "and chances are he'll end up doing the very same mistakes* for his next video.

*mistakes from your point of view at least, what's good and bad is subjective"

Offline RedX

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2013, 09:28:29 AM »
I feel like you're just trying to be a quarreller

Obviously your feedback matters more if you thought the video was absolutely horrible than if you liked almost everything. If the person keeps repeating the same small mistakes in future projects, he's eventually gonna hear about it.

Of course, both "I liked it" and "I didn't like it" are terrible comments, the difference imo is that "I liked it" can be at least somewhat helpful, whilst "I didn't like it" is completely worthless.

I think I've said everything I wanted to say in this thread now.

Offline TheGT4sm

• Veteran Member
  • BT Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2013, 09:43:26 AM »
"I liked it" isn't a bad comment, stop becoming convinced it is. Constructive complimenting pffffff ok

"I didn't like it" on the other hand...
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 09:47:19 AM by TheGT4sm »

Offline Determined

• Pro Coral Collector
  • Veteran Member
  • Pridestalker
    • View Profile
    • Determined's YT Acc
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2013, 09:55:21 AM »
Yeah, that's a double standard if I've ever seen one. I think if someone is going to comment on the editing at all (it isn't mandatory you know, the vids are always about the stunts & if you don't feel like investing time in commenting on the editing, you don't have to), he should go in detail: he should elaborate on every point he makes, like, for example, someone says:"I liked the angles" Cool! ...why? I think going in detail of those kind of things is really interesting, as you realize what you're looking for in videos & why do you like them. It's not just about showering someone with compliments & critique, it's also a great way of realizing what you like personally & that will greatly improve your skills as an editor. If you just look back & see what are your attractions & try to replicate them in your projects to get the result you're satisfied with. That's what inspiration is all about, which is the key to improving your own work.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 09:57:12 AM by Determined »

Offline Reynard The Fox

• Reynolds
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2013, 10:08:13 AM »
More than half of the posts in any kind of stunting video thread are the likes of: nice editing, nice stunts especially liked randomstunter's stunts. Which are about as constructive as my reply on Dark Shadows video. I did this at almost every video I have watched ever and once I realized I did this I just stopped commenting on videos because I wouldn't want to read that comment on my own videos.   

One or two people actually try to be constructive every once in a while and that's good for them, but nobody really cares anymore in the age of the upvote and the thumbs up.

Offline RedX

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2013, 10:25:57 AM »
More than half of the posts in any kind of stunting video thread are the likes of: nice editing, nice stunts especially liked randomstunter's stunts. Which are about as constructive as my reply on Dark Shadows video. I did this at almost every video I have watched ever and once I realized I did this I just stopped commenting on videos because I wouldn't want to read that comment on my own videos.   

One or two people actually try to be constructive every once in a while and that's good for them, but nobody really cares anymore in the age of the upvote and the thumbs up.

Sad but true, sad but true :(

Offline luli guy

• Banned
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2013, 12:19:43 PM »
whats the idea of putting time on making better stunts/video if you are not getting any reward at all, just do it for fun and doesnt matter if its good enough or not

Offline puzzLe

• Veteran Member
  • Wasteland Heroes
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2013, 11:21:53 AM »
This 'community' stopped being one like 6 years ago already

Offline FELIX

• formerly known as Flava and cloudwalker
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2013, 12:02:05 PM »
so, shortly after you joined? ;)

Offline Reynard The Fox

• Reynolds
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2013, 12:21:34 PM »
Sick burn.

Offline puzzLe

• Veteran Member
  • Wasteland Heroes
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2013, 12:39:47 PM »
Sick burn.

word, brb getting some cold water

let's not forget the SAMP times where you had a hard time finding the way out of my ass Flava
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 12:41:42 PM by puzzLe »

Offline STREEM

• ☯♫
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2013, 01:36:19 PM »
It's always been like that dud

my favorites are arnax's single emoticon posts, occasionally tryp arrives

Offline Beat

• d(^---^)b
  • Wasteland Heroes
    • View Profile
    • Beat's YouTube page.
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2013, 01:50:30 PM »
The issue with feedback in my videos at this very stage isn't really constructive criticism but the fact that the majority of people don't bother to actually comment anymore when I know for a fact that at least twice or three times the amount of posters on one given video are actually interested enough to post on the topic (whether positively or negatively) but they don't because they don't think its necessary and that makes me slowly lose interest in video making because it feels like people won't give a shit. An active audience urging for more content is definitely what fuels me, because at the end of the day no one gives a fuck if you do a triple backflip over knives in your bedroom if no one is there to watch it.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 01:54:34 PM by Beat »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal