Author Topic: My first proper montage  (Read 2906 times)

Offline HonkMeat

• Amateur stunter on GTA V
    • View Profile
My first proper montage
« on: January 15, 2015, 02:13:49 AM »
I did a montage before, but that was more an experiment, using the PS4 to record and edit a video.  Most of the stunts in that one were from my tutorial series, so not my favourite stuff by any means.

This one is different.  I spent time getting a collection of stunts and edited it properly on my PC.  ShareFactory isn't bad, but Sony Vegas Pro it is not!

Anyway, here's my video.  I hope you guys like it...

GTAV stunting episode #1
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 01:01:06 PM by HonkMeat »

Offline RedX

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: My first proper montage
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 02:29:06 AM »
Good video :)

Offline ShuffleCrown

• Stunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 03:46:20 AM »
Not bad for a first video! And the fact that is free roam shows you have a lot more potential! :) Keep it up!

Offline HonkMeat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 04:36:00 AM »
Thanks guys.  I do love to stunt!  It's pretty much all I've done since I discovered it.

More will come and I hope to keep finding bigger and better spots.

Offline VaNilla

• next week m9
  • Board Mods
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 09:19:51 AM »
Not bad for a first video! And the fact that is free roam shows you have a lot more potential! :) Keep it up!

Offline Madmax

• Veteran Member
  • Pizzaboy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 10:32:11 AM »
That was pretty decent. Great for a first video. I've got a few suggestions which I think would help make your next video better.

• Have more variety in your stunts. Makes things a little harder to predict, and more exciting.
  • Shorten the introduction a little. Since nothing particularly special happens during the intro, it doesn't keep peoples attention. Short, sweet and right to the point.
  • The music didn't fit in my opinion. It didn't give the stunting a feeling of excitement and it's an extremely hard song to edit to.
  • The editing needs a little work, it doesn't need to be flashy or crazy either. Just fit the impacts (bumps) and scene changes to parts of the song that have a beat or symbol crash .etc Look at other videos and even older Vice City videos for examples of how editing fits with music.
  • Keep practising and have fun!

Offline foresttravesty

• Evolve Stunting
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VId6eO36Kuc
    • View Profile
    • StuntinNotFrontin Productions
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 11:06:48 AM »
I liked it! good stunts. music was a bit slow, but stunts kept my interest.
I agreed with madmax that the stunts could use a little variation, but everything looked well executed and planned out for the most part.

Offline Erney

• Veteran Member
  • Aero Reapers
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 11:11:59 AM »
Enjoyable ;)

Offline HonkMeat

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 04:10:54 PM »
That was pretty decent. Great for a first video. I've got a few suggestions which I think would help make your next video better.

• Have more variety in your stunts. Makes things a little harder to predict, and more exciting.
  • Shorten the introduction a little. Since nothing particularly special happens during the intro, it doesn't keep peoples attention. Short, sweet and right to the point.
  • The music didn't fit in my opinion. It didn't give the stunting a feeling of excitement and it's an extremely hard song to edit to.
  • The editing needs a little work, it doesn't need to be flashy or crazy either. Just fit the impacts (bumps) and scene changes to parts of the song that have a beat or symbol crash .etc Look at other videos and even older Vice City videos for examples of how editing fits with music.
  • Keep practising and have fun!

Thanks.  I think I did everything you suggested in that video though.

Can you link me some of your stuff so I can see a better example?

Offline RedX

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 04:57:11 PM »
Regarding variety:
different vehicles - you can use planes, boats, cars, motorcycles, bicycles and more.
different techniques - you can bump, grind or do precision stunts (flying/jumping through tiny gaps or landing on something small)

also, madmax mentions unpredictability. to achieve this, you should keep in mind what camera angles you use. very often it is obvious what's going to happen when recording from behind. of course since this was recorded live there's not as much freedom as when working with replays.

keep at it! I'm looking forward to your next video

Offline HonkMeat

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2015, 02:16:14 AM »
Regarding variety:
different vehicles - you can use planes, boats, cars, motorcycles, bicycles and more.
different techniques - you can bump, grind or do precision stunts (flying/jumping through tiny gaps or landing on something small)

also, madmax mentions unpredictability. to achieve this, you should keep in mind what camera angles you use. very often it is obvious what's going to happen when recording from behind. of course since this was recorded live there's not as much freedom as when working with replays.

keep at it! I'm looking forward to your next video

Okay, that's something that I can relate to, but there's answers for all of it.

I only stunt on motorbikes.  Some may see that as a negative, but I've seen enough videos out there to know it's pretty normal.  I don't really like cars and don't think I've ever seen a decent car stunt that doesn't use boosts or Franklin's ability, both of which don't interest me.  I only want to stunt in free roam, hence the intro explanation.

As for techniques, the only one you mention that I don't do in the video is grinding.  It doesn't interest me in the slightest, but that's just a preference thing.  I know there's skill involved and it would take time, practice and persistence like all good stunts, but I just don't like it.  It's better than ditching (which I hate with a passion), so I'm very happy you didn't suggest I do some of that :p

And you answered your final point yourself.  I'd love to have some kind of replay or theatre mode (like the PC version will have).  I may end up getting the PC version, but I'm put off by the idea of it being hacked to death and basically turning into a different game.  But, if I do get it then I'll definitely do some more creative arrangements.  I do disagree with Madmax about the timing of the jumps and the music (and just disagree about the music in general, but that's a taste thing), as I made an effort to sync bumps and/or landings with music.  I think there's only 2 jumps that aren't timed at all.  Obviously with PC that would be much, much easier to do as (I assume) you could also adjust playback speed to make stunts sync both at the beginning and end.  Sure, I could adjust the playback rate of the footage in the video editor, but I tried that and it looks ugly when it's only a slight adjustment.

Anyway, thanks for the constructive advice - it's much appreciated.  I shall bear it in mind for future works :)

Offline R.4GE

• iAmARISTO
    • View Profile
    • RAGEHDTV
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2015, 07:48:49 AM »
R u there on psn or Xbox ? Add me on psn if u r a member of psn ps4: aristocracked

Offline HonkMeat

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2015, 05:02:56 AM »
R u there on psn or Xbox ? Add me on psn if u r a member of psn ps4: aristocracked

I'm Furry_Monkey on PSN - just sent a friend request :)

Offline Raskal

• Furniture Cadet
  • Veteran Member
  • I like stuff
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2015, 10:31:18 AM »
Looked good man! Keep up the good work! I'll add you to PSN and we can rip up some spots! PSN: Furniture_Cadet

Offline HonkMeat

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2015, 01:03:30 PM »
Thanks guys, and Raskal I just sent a friend request.

I've updated the OP with a new edit of the video.  I halved the intro as I decided that I agree - it was way too long.  I also added another 4 stunts, just to mix it up a bit.

I won't be editing it again.  I'll start looking for new stuff now for my next one :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal