Author Topic: Hard Drive issue  (Read 1211 times)

Offline вαℓυ

• Lord of The Underground
  • Veteran Member
  • Killerstunter
    • View Profile
    • http://uk.youtube.com/user/Balujan
Hard Drive issue
« on: December 24, 2012, 06:53:21 AM »
Hey guys.

I'm here with a really bad problem. Recently when I was using my computer, I had a power outage, and when it came back on and I switched on the computer, I got an UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME BSoD, I tried to fix it the way I fixed it before, by going into XP recovery console and doing a chkdsk, that didn't work as it said there were one or more irrecoverable issues, so I did a fixboot and that didn't do anything, so finally I did a fixmbr and that last thing, for some reason, converted the drive into FAT from NTFS. The drive was not wiped, the things are still there, but it's being seen as FAT for some reason. Please guys, can you help me in anyway to fix this, because my whole life is in there, my photoshop works, crucial documents, all my lyrics and songs and my unreleased EP. If it's not possible to get the drive back to normal, would it be possible by any chance to pull out the files? This place is my last resort lol, I got nowhere else to go, would really appreciate the help guys, thanks.

Offline Determined

• Pro Coral Collector
  • Veteran Member
  • Pridestalker
    • View Profile
    • Determined's YT Acc
Re: Hard Drive issue
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 10:45:11 AM »
Have you tried taking it out & using it as an external disk on another computer to see if you can access the files?

Offline вαℓυ

• Veteran Member
  • Killerstunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 11:24:33 PM »
Haven't tried that, I currently don't have access to another computer at this moment.

Offline вαℓυ

• Veteran Member
  • Killerstunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 09:02:10 AM »
Fixed it, this place is sort of my lucky charm lol, whenever I post issues here, I don't always get solutions, but regardless of that I always end up fixing the problem.

I ran TestDisk through Parted Magic(through Ultimate Boot CD) and revived all partitions except for the main C: drive, which TestDisk couldn't entirely fix, but it did change the status from FAT to NTFS. When I tried to boot normally, it kept showing the "NTLDR missing" error. I booted through boot-repair-disk and it presumably fixed most of the issues, the error screen changed back to the UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME BSoD. I tried running chkdsk through XP Recovery Console but it wouldn't let me, kept saying the drive had an unrecoverable issue. I ran MiniXP through Hiren's bootable CD and ran chkdsk /r through it, it worked. Fixed all the bad sectors. After that, just to feel safe, I ran the normal windows boot time chkdsk.

Fixboot was the cause of the drive being seen as FAT instead of NTFS.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 09:07:43 AM by вαℓυ »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal