Author Topic: Karigurashi no Arrietty  (Read 814 times)

Offline Ed

• MO Crew
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Karigurashi no Arrietty
« on: January 11, 2013, 04:20:51 PM »

Karigurashi no Arrietty

My anime taste might be a bit different from so called "usual" one, but I hope you'll at least take it as granted. And as I'm pretty bored at work I'll try to make up with something about this wonderful creation.
To start of, this one is made by Ghibli studio, which basically is a genre of japanese animation itself (Mononoke Hime, Howl no Ugoku Shito, etc). This one isn't an exception. It's whole world is pretty broad and exceptional I'd say. Hope I won't spoil it too much, at least will keep most of the spoilers for myself.

Karigurashi no Arrietty is an amazing creation just because it has so many in it in depth. There's pretty much alienated boy (not his fault though) who travels to his grandmother and her inadequate, so called maid to spend some <...> days in complete peace and nature. But the house holds not only the usual humans, but a rare species of Borrowers (little human) family which keeps living in constant danger, which is clearly shown in the beginning. But watching as 5 centimeters long girl goes though some obstacles which would definitely stop normal human makes it hard to understand how is it like living every day like this. But the family is actually settled in a very neat and beautiful place which creates a parallel between the outside and inner world. When the boy actually meets the small girl, he isn't as nearly impressed as he should be, but it is understandable from his point of view and the situation he is <...>.
I wouldn't say this anime has a romantic atmosphere, but it certainly could have some elements, or I would enjoy it a bit more. Imagine a no-no relationship... Then their journey to the climax began. Little people family is very worried about their species, because they are endangered, guess why...
The climax of the story is when they are discovered, which lead to the biggest dissappointment of the movie because the very climax is too weak, it doesn't really have this "peak of the story" thing. But what happens next to it is very important because it leads to the opposite change in thinking of little people's family mind.
All the things in this movie are VERY deep in terms of graphical impression. Knowing that our garden might turn into the whole world is mindblowing. Any, even the smallest thing turning into a danger zone is being taken seriously. This is what intrigues the most...
Overally it's a 9/10 from me, because of all the good points I mentioned, a unique story and pretty neat atmosphere, pretty much no violence, all this calmness keeps you all into the movie. Plus every character has his own opinion which doesn't come out of nowhere (except maybe the maid, but it might be untold in the movie, don't really know/remember), constantly changing settings and incredible detalization is what made me love this one. Highly recommended to watch in full HD.

P.S.: Hope my first anime review ever didn't suck THAT much. I've watched this one like a year ago, some points might not be actually like I mentioned them, at least that's what I remember it for. Any opinions both about the review quality and the animation?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 04:25:08 PM by Ed »

Offline Simon

• Admin
  • aka Darkstar
    • View Profile
Re: Karigurashi no Arrietty
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 08:57:27 PM »
Huh, I haven't watched this, but I've been meaning too. Because you know.. It's Ghibli. It was a nice review, though I'd probably have to watch it myself to understand, but from what you've said about every small thing being a danger, slightly reminds me of the movie Antz, when it starts raining, these raindrops are almost like bombs to the ants.

But yeah nice review, definitively got me to want to watch the movie more. Good job, I'll add in my own thoughts as soon as I watch it  :happy: 

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal