Author Topic: Collision Fixing: Modded or Overdue?  (Read 4504 times)

Offline Jason

• V.I.P. Member
  • Grains in the hourglass.
    • View Profile
Collision Fixing: Modded or Overdue?
« on: April 13, 2021, 05:28:00 PM »
Many people have approached me asking if I was able to edit the collisions of a spot in the map to be more accurate to the actual object. The original LC Collision Fix is a pack containing just that, it's something we all use. But beyond that pack, it would (in my opinion) be considered modding, which is a line people have crossed in the past with mixed responses. This should be something we decide on, as a community, once and for all.

What objects are considered off limits?
What degree of fixes should be allowed to consider the spot still legit?
Should each fix be released one by one, or as an official pack which would become the new standard?
Should we just yolo it?

Share your thoughts, gang.

Offline Lex

• No longer active
    • View Profile
Re: Collision Fixing: Modded or Overdue?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 06:33:05 PM »
Well, of course It considered modded, since It wasn't like that in the released.

I could give my vote for collision fix pack or one by one, and I agree to make it the new standard. It would very lovely to see some possible stunt or a new spot for that, especially those buildings on LC downtown, Imagine remastering it and a collision.

I worked on collision things on SA years ago, but lost my interest due to that it will become a hot topic for natural stunters, mixed comment and a possible ban. As I'm working to it, there's so much new things you could do.

now ready the hashtag as vote

#Collisionfixasnewstandard
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 06:38:32 PM by Lex »

Offline Kingjad

• Veteran Member
  • Fat Bastard
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2021, 06:34:53 PM »
When it comes to LC, considering it's a map mod in itself to replicate Liberty City in GTA3, I don't mind that being tweaked and perfected. Same for SAiVC too.

However, for the base VC game - it's modding territory in my opinion.

Offline Krypton

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 07:36:54 PM »
I agree with Kingjad here. If it differs from the vanilla collision, wouldn't be legit. If it can't be done on ps2, then would be modding.

Ive never looked at one of these stunts and ever been impressed, because it wasn't possible or even thought of to anyone without the collision fix. But at the same time, I cant even be mad. We have been stunting the same map for coming up on 2 decades, push it to the limit. Would I throw those stunts in a regular stunting video? No. Could make for some 2.0 maps though. But we already have these beautiful maps, put your effort into something else :ninja:

Offline The Big V

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2021, 09:01:26 PM »
For LC thats totally fine and would be great to have. I remember Gavran started converting it long time ago but while fixing some certain collisions, other things were getting broken (like for example stairs became actual stairs with bumps on each step, instead of ramps).

Some might remember, before all those all inclusive made-for-stunting repacks by All Beast, you had to download the LC mod and install it over VC. So the original map mod had most of the roofs without collisions (just like the original GTA III). Then, if Im not mistaken, Neo made a roof fix and the community was totally fine with it. What Im trying to say is, collision fix should be perceived just as the roof fix back in the day - nothing illegal here as long as most of the community agrees on it.
I only think in credits or in the description of the videos released with the fixed LC should be mentioned what LC was used :cc_detective:

If it differs from the vanilla collision, wouldn't be legit.
Do you agree that 80-90% of all the released LC stunting videos are not legit then, because the vanilla collisions are without solid roofs everywhere? :P

« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 09:24:01 PM by The Big V »

Offline Jason

• V.I.P. Member
  • Grains in the hourglass.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2021, 10:14:59 PM »
...put your effort into something else :ninja:

Trust me, I will be  :ninja:

The process behind collision fixing, thanks to our buddy Darkstar, is really very simple. I can make a quick video on the process. What people do with the acquired knowledge is up to themselves.

So y'all are saying you haven't looked at the VC airport rails and thought "damn it, I really wish I could grind these perfect long rails"? That would be one of my go-to fixes.

Offline AllBeast

• pro stunter
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2021, 12:04:53 AM »
Neo words about it and i agree with that

LC mod updated by team itself, which converted that mod, that's why he accepted that, so anyone in world can use same mod as default

any other optional mod is not acceptable like nomodded

Offline DeathCobra

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2021, 02:49:43 AM »
Patches that are released publicly and fix obvious problems with collision around the map ✔

Individual spot fixes that fix blatantly incorrect collision, that are released publicly and easily accessible ✔

Individual spot fixes that fix blatantly incorrect collision, that you fix in order to land a stunt, release the video AND THEN make the fix available ~

Individual spot fixes that improve the viability of a spot, even though it's not an obviously broken bit of collision ❌

Individual spot fixes, reasonable or otherwise, that you release videos using but never tell anyone about ❌

Offline Krypton

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2021, 03:16:43 AM »
Do you agree that 80-90% of all the released LC stunting videos are not legit then, because the vanilla collisions are without solid roofs everywhere? :P
Well if we wanna get technical I'de say 100% seeing as there aren't even supposed to be PCJs in LC :P I was more talking about VC

Offline The Big V

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2021, 03:38:01 AM »
Well if we wanna get technical I'de say 100% seeing as there aren't even supposed to be PCJs in LC :P I was more talking about VC

Yeah fair enough   :ajaja:

Very good points by @DC and @AllBeast as well. Fixes can be done and approved if the community around it agrees, OR if they are done by the original modding team behind LC (or any other mod/map mod).
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 03:41:55 AM by The Big V »

Offline Xtramus

• Technical Addict
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gtastunting.net/forums
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2021, 04:10:25 AM »
Patches that are released publicly and fix obvious problems with collision around the map ✔

Individual spot fixes that fix blatantly incorrect collision, that are released publicly and easily accessible ✔

Individual spot fixes that fix blatantly incorrect collision, that you fix in order to land a stunt, release the video AND THEN make the fix available ~

Individual spot fixes that improve the viability of a spot, even though it's not an obviously broken bit of collision ❌

Individual spot fixes, reasonable or otherwise, that you release videos using but never tell anyone about ❌

I second this. As others mentioned I also used to consider anything not possible on PS2 (or any other non-moddable console version) would be modding, but now I am more convinced that anything "in the spirit of the game" or otherwise in good taste COULD be acceptable or at least open to discussion. Sharing = caring though.

Offline TurBo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2021, 06:02:00 AM »
I think Yes for the LC mode obviously, since it is a map-mode in and of itself that has not been perfected. As long as it is done scrupulously and made public with a uniform standard agreed upon by the community. A good set of guidelines or criteria was already laid by DC imo.

Offline Simon

• Admin
  • aka Darkstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2021, 06:45:27 AM »
In my opinion anything that's a map mod is fair game to change. However I think learning from previous instances of attempts at this, release the fix to the community before ever giving it to single people. This way the fix is just an 'update' everyone gets.

As for normal VC, I think it's best to keep it the way it is. There's potential arguments for newer releases of the game having differing collisions to the PC version, and you could go there, but it'd have to be collisions extractet directly from the version in my opinon, not somebody recreating it the best they can. Just because I'll always want the VC map to be an 'official' version.

The process behind collision fixing, thanks to our buddy Darkstar, is really very simple. I can make a quick video on the process. What people do with the acquired knowledge is up to themselves.
I wouldn't do that just yet, there's still stuff that's missing so if you start converting cols now they won't have any surface data, which might fuck the maps up a bit. A bit later down the line when the plugin has the missing features it might be worth creating a thread for it and/or a potential LC progress thread if that's something people would be interested in participating in/trying.

Offline Ezraph2001

• Live, love, laugh, Limberly Kippington
    • View Profile
    • stan nmixx
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2021, 03:38:19 PM »
In my opinion anything that's a map mod is fair game to change. However I think learning from previous instances of attempts at this, release the fix to the community before ever giving it to single people. This way the fix is just an 'update' everyone gets.

I 100% agree with you. It's just a map mod made by the LC community. Imagine GTAS teaming up with them just to fix them collisions.

Also, "extracted", not "extractet" :D sorry if I'm being a grammar nazi here even though i find that funny XD

Offline alieNboy

• Artists Movies 2011
  • COSMIC GANG
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2021, 01:49:46 AM »
I don't really have a word here but I like the idea of making these fixes. What I feel it could be done meanwhile with the "updates" is paying a little tribute to the people that have paved and shaped the stunting we know today with replacing billboards and puting their logos over them (crews, stunters, mod creators and maybe putting GTAStunting.net... y'all get the idea)

Just a thought I'd like to share :happy:
« Last Edit: April 15, 2021, 01:52:47 AM by alieNboy »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal