Author Topic: Double Looking Back #3 - Bad Memories / SoulSick  (Read 2914 times)

Offline PtRvY

• WH Crew
  • Veteran Member
  • Wasteland Hero / BT Member
    • View Profile
Double Looking Back #3 - Bad Memories / SoulSick
« on: May 07, 2011, 03:45:03 PM »
In the 3rd episode of Looking back, we will be looking back at two videos: Bad Memories and SoulSick.

Apart from some really special solos and magnificient collabs (like Blood Hood, which we've discussed in the previous episode), 2008 was packed with awesome crew videos as well. Apart from the network crews' usual ownage, there was a number of crews contending for the spot in the network. Those were CT, GLS and ESU. GLS and CT did get their section eventually, while ESU never did.

Why look back on those two videos at the same time? Well, they were released the same week in February 2008. And not only that, they were made by ESU and SS, respectively, which will in late 2008 be the prime contenders for the section. You could say there was quite a bit of rivalry between those two crews throughout 2008.

It's probably hard to tell which one of those two videos was better, since they're both substantially different in the overall look. Bad Memories had a relatively new editing style for that time, which was really good for some and not-so good for others; while SoulSick is your classic edited video, with little to none emphasis on the effects, leaving the stunts completely exposed for the viewer. I'll review each of them separately.

Bad Memories had a lot of tricks up its sleeve to keep the viewer entertained: the extremely compelling soundtrack (quite possibly one of the best tracks by Celldweller), combined with a editing which, while it didn't receive universal acclaim, still looked extremely well in my opinion. GangstaG/Baseline was always a good editor and there's no denying to it. Of course, it would be wrong not to mention the stunts: there were some really really great stunts involved; for me the definite standouts were Anoobis' sick mega rotation2grind, Dejv's extraordinary wallride (i was really stunned the first time I saw that), Dan's mtb grab, and Skull's bump2bb - which was also separated by many reviewers. This video caused as much controversy as it caused positive reviews, though: there were plenty of accusations thrown at GG. Whether those are true or not, remains on the viewer to conclude.

SoulSick didn't have a lot of the flashy aspects, however I compliment the music choices anyway - NoName's selection of the intro song was really good (one of the best tracks by Pendulum at that time, probably still), and while the editing itself on the intro wasn't anything outstanding (moving camera combined with masked out CJs), it was somehow compelling for me. The main part tracks are awesome as well. As I've mentioned above, the editing wasn't innovative or anything similar, but it allowed the stunt aspect to be even more noticed and it even somehow matched with the track's pace. One great characteristic you'll notice in a lot of SS crew videos is the incredible amount of infernus stunts. This video is no exception: Mewka, Michu, PrzemOO and DeadMan brought some really cool infy stunts to the table. dust_N_bone's grinds were really technical and looked simply cool, and while Dani0's boost might not be considered anything special now, it was sure impressive at the time of release. All-in-all, stuntwise a really solid video and a good contender for the video above.

If you'd have to add up every single review, you could say ESU has made the better video that time. But this was most certainly a good moment for stunting, because healthy competition always motivates people to stunt harder. Despite ESU's success from February, the 2nd time ESU and SS would cross their videos in a short time period (we're already looking at sometime around december 2008), SS would take the edge and eventually take the section for itself, leaving ESU with nothing. We'll look back at the 2nd ESU/SS clash in one of the next episodes. Now, just sit back and enjoy the videos!

GTASTUNTING : Explosive Stunters Union - Bad Memories [SS] SoulSick - Second crew movie.

Kallesetae - This raised the pwnage level of ESU really much on my eyes!
Hoff - Wow, so many great stunts in this video!
Crazy - It was a great one, liked the stunts
BoBsaget - Awesome vid ESU!
Mr. Magic - I liked it alot. I haven't enjoyed a San Andreas video like this in a great while.

CRYOSPHERE - Saw a lot of cool refreshing new stuff
Ralleee - That was great! Loved the car stunts, awesome job
GT-7 - Woah this video is awesome.  Good job guys, you nailed it!
Taz - Pretty nice progress since the last video, some of the stunts were great.
Darkstar - awsome vid guys

FURTHER VIEWING:
The subsequent outings of both crews:
[noembed][ESU]Reflection Continues
[SS]Third Try[/noembed]
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 03:53:19 PM by PtRvY »

Offline Asaaj

• Spaalonebabuguuscooties
    • View Profile
Re: Double Looking Back #3 - Bad Memories / SoulSick
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 03:48:41 PM »
Wow awesome reviews :3 GJ Petar ;)

Offline PrzemOO

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 03:57:19 PM »
I like Bad Memories more despite modded stunts from Baseline :P

Offline Artifex

• Artifex
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile

Offline PtRvY

• WH Crew
  • Veteran Member
  • Wasteland Hero / BT Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 04:00:48 PM »
ESU - Reflection Continues
Yeah I've noticed and placed the link, thanks Arti.

Offline bluedagger

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 04:29:41 PM »
Good review petar :) also GGs grab was a whole new method. Cool little invention there that few since him has mastered, I did only one and then a french guy named tostione released a single stunts with that method. Theres really no point in discussing ggs stunts though, they were modded he admitted it

Offline Plani

• --
  • Veteran Member
  • Since 2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 04:37:43 PM »
Awesome review , 2 great vids.

Offline DriZzly

• Veteran Member
  • Tak-47
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 03:33:10 AM »
i hate my stunts in this :(

great review ptrvy

Offline Dimension

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 09:09:30 AM »
the only thing i disliked is the quality.

Offline Genyus

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 02:24:17 PM »
Bad Memories <3 Kai's opener is still sexy.

Offline TrYp

• Veteran Member
  • X
    • View Profile
    • http://sampforum.hu
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 10:49:58 AM »
Bad Memories is still one of my favourite videos ever. Whether Dan and GG modded in that or not

Offline SkilZ

• DSS Member
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/SkilZGtaS?feature=mhw5
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 09:59:07 AM »
oh yeah 2 old and good video!  i really loved ESU one Anoobis at 1:40 stunt is awesome love this style and second SS video is awesome for 2008

Offline GI JOE

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/graffitijackassnovak
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 12:32:50 PM »
Bad memories still remains to be one of my favourite videos of all time. I have a fond memory (IRONY TROLOLOL) of sitting in Skull's bedroom watching the HQ version on his widescreen monitor, my jaw dropping at every other stunt. As I recall it was his first proper video with ESU, which to me made him a "famous stunter" at the time. This video played a huge part in my motivation to purchase GTA, and give stunting a go. After watching the video, we opened up SA, and we started trying the stunts he landed in the video, each having a few goes at a time. As sad as it sounds, back in the day I had so much respect and admiration for stunters and crews alike, I was willing to put solid time and effort to make my mark in the community, in hope I would star in videos such as Bad memories.

Huge respect for you Petar, these posts are rich in content, and perfect inspiration for the newer memebers.

Offline puzzLe

• Veteran Member
  • Wasteland Heroes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011, 01:25:12 PM »
Benny boo!

Offline GI JOE

• View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/graffitijackassnovak
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2011, 01:45:50 PM »