Author Topic: RepCopy - Easier copy and backup of replays [SA+VC]  (Read 1903 times)

Offline DeathCobra

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
RepCopy - Easier copy and backup of replays [SA+VC]
« on: February 18, 2023, 10:00:05 AM »
- RepCopy -

Description:

This is a tool I've created that makes copying and backing up your replays a bit easier. In short, it uses keybinds to automatically backup the replay.rep in your user files, and places the new version in a safe location. The copied replays use Date+Time naming convention, and numerical increments after. This tool cannot overwrite backup replays.

The idea is to help a few annoyances:

Firstly - it means you don't have to tab out, or otherwise go into explorer and start renaming and copying reps, each time you F2. Can be useful for saving attempts without leaving the game.

Secondly - when landing a stunt, you can remain in game, and save multiple rep versions of the stunt with F2. Without ever having to leave the game.

Thirdly - combined with the above, it acts as a safeguard against tab in/out game crashes. VC in particular I've found quite crashy when tabbing in/out of the game. Which ofcourse you're doing if you're renaming replays and such. If your initial replay save of a stunt turns out to be bad, and your game crashes when you come back, you're fucked. With this you can take multiple reps, which adds an extra layer of safety.

Most of you are probably thinking "this sounds basically useless". Which for many, and in many situations, it probably is :) This is more meant as an extra layer of security for landing spots that take many, many hours. But, it can also make saving attempt replays easier, or help those dealing with particularly crashy reps, crashy games, or wanting multiple variations of the same stunt rep.

Binds:

F2 - Whenever you use this key to save a replay normally, RepCopy will wait a moment for the new replay to exist, then automatically backup the new replay.rep. Pressing F2 locks you out of using other RepCopy functions, for two seconds, to give the game ample time to create the new replay.rep.

F8 - Simply takes a manual backup of the replay.rep, whenever you want.

F9 (Toggle) - Deactivates RepCopy temporarily. This is so you can do things like use F2 for renaming purposes in explorer, without the program taking replay backups whenever you do so. Toggles lock/unlock. After two minutes of being locked, it will automatically reactivate again. This is to help ensure you haven't forgotten it's locked.

Additional Info:

- Backup replays are always placed in <User Files>/RepCopy/. If this directory does not exist when a backup replay is taken, the program will create this directory.

- RepCopy detects running instances of GTA-VC and GTA-SA. The shortcuts are only active when there is a running instance of one of these games.
   - If both games are running, a backup of both reps in each user files is taken (but wtf are you doing you psycho).

- I recommend keeping RepCopy running for any stunting sessions. You can even do things like creating shortcuts/batch files to automatically start it when you load into a GTA. Or launch it on startup.

- The sounds can be disabled via the Windows Volume Mixer. Or turned down.

- It does not interfere, or in any way interact with GTA itself, or the replay system. This is just file copies from within Windows.

- You should probably clear out the /RepCopy/ folder occasionally. It's not meant to be a permanent storage location, and it can fill quite quickly with clutter.

- Use with caution. I recommend still doing your own backups of replays, and in addition backing up reps in multiple locations (other drives, cloud services, etc).

- There's probably bugs. Let me know here if you find any.

Update 1.1:
- Added automatic checking for duplicate game processes. Secondary/background processes seem to cause odd behaviour in the primary game, so you'll want to close any of these duplicates. Warns you if this is detected.

30th April 2023 - Current Release (v1.1):

Windows Only (probably 7 onwards?)

Source:

My coding is bad pls no flame.

Future:

- It would be nice to detect whether GTA has focus, and only save replays if that is the case.

- It would be nice to speed up the lock/unlock time period. However for now I've been generous with the time window given, as I simply don't know how long the game will take to save a new replay, on old/slow drives.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2023, 07:53:16 AM by DeathCobra »

Offline Lex

• No longer active
    • View Profile
Re: RepCopy - Easier copy and backup of replays [SA+VC]
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2023, 04:49:52 PM »
Trying it now!

Offline VaNilla

• next week m9
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2023, 09:11:18 PM »
Hopefully I'll remember to try this when I'm back, thanks for the tool and well done :cc_detective:.

Offline Joshua

• Veteran Member
  • METHOD, Milbridge, JDizzle, blablabla
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2023, 09:51:33 PM »
Great work, I always wanted something exactly like this at my stunting peak  :)

Offline Ltab-

• WH Crew
  • escrachado
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2023, 01:37:08 PM »
nice one! downloading right now

Offline Minq

• Aero Reapers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2023, 09:30:46 AM »
outstanding release dc  :wub:

Offline Reynard The Fox

• Reynolds
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2023, 03:06:09 AM »
Great job!

For the code checking a bool by using == true instead of just the bool as a condition is a bit meh.

Offline Diaz

• Veteran Member
  • WH
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2023, 12:22:39 AM »
This sounds helpful, it really solves the tab in/out game crashes which are so annoying. It's always awe-inspiring to see such tools are being released in times likes this. I mean it's 2023 and stunting is not THAT active of a scene anymore, I admire the dedication of all of you. But I also think like 'cool, I wish these stuff were released 10 years earlier to make stunting convenient'. Still, thanks pal  :P

Offline DeathCobra

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2023, 07:55:53 AM »
Pushed an update

- Added automatic checking for duplicate game processes. Secondary/background processes seem to cause odd behaviour in the primary game, so you'll want to close any of these duplicates. Warns you if this is detected.

This is perhaps an issue unique to VC, but is quite annoying. Somehow these background/dead processes spawn once in a while. If you get the warning, finish what you were doing (save game, replay etc), then open Task manager and check for a background gta- process. Close it, and perhaps restart your running game.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal