Author Topic: Computer crash, need urgent help!  (Read 1056 times)

Offline godamit

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Computer crash, need urgent help!
« on: October 19, 2008, 04:01:07 AM »
Ok, a long time ago my good PC crashed (probably been a month max.), so I couldn't play GTA, as very few people here know. I am asking now if there is a way to get my computer working again?

First off, when I just turn on the PC, it gets loading, and it eventually gets to "Verifying DMI Pool data" then just stops, it won't go any further, but it does have a flashing | or / or whatever, if there's something I need to press here, and also, when I press a letter key, nothing comes up, just a little faint popping sound whenever I press most keys.

Also, when I put in my Windows XP installation discs, I go through my BIOS and set my PC to use the disc start up... and then, when it loads up again, it goes to CD Drive start up, then the screen just has some flickering, and nothing else happens...
Also, I don't know what's changed exactly, but before the flickering whenever I tried to start up on a CD Drive, it would get ready to install XP, but then says it can't read my Hard Disk, though it doesn't get to that anymore, but just to let you know anyway.

Hopefully someone can help me soon, and thanks for any info I can get

Offline Rainbow

• Coeur de taxi
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/Rainbowstunting
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 04:16:59 AM »
i had the same.. took it to NoRRod(where i got it from) they said that the Hard disk was broken.. same things as you had.. hope you have something on this

Offline godamit

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 04:19:30 AM »
Ok, thanks. Though I got no idea where I got my comp. from, I got it over 4 years ago

When you took your PC in, what'd they say besides your HD being broken? Did you just replace it with a new one, or...?

bluedagger

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 04:40:14 AM »
Quote from: godamit
Ok, thanks. Though I got no idea where I got my comp. from, I got it over 4 years ago

When you took your PC in, what'd they say besides your HD being broken? Did you just replace it with a new one, or...?

Hey i can help you! I had kind of the same problem, my windows shit popped up and stayed like that forever, and sometimes it got black, and i got that beeping sound. Actually you can save everything on your old HDD, and maybe you dont even have to buy a new one! Go buy something called a "Harddisk Enclosure", take out your harddisk, put it in there, and onw your broken HDD is a USB drive! Then, go to some other computer, at your friends house for example, extract all you need, format the drive, insert it in your old computer and reinstall windows. That worked like a charm for me, i bought a new harddrive because i didnt think i could rely on my old, but my older brother did the same thing with my enclosure, and he is using his old HDD with NO problems! =)

Also, if your HDD is a maxtor 320 GB, a whole shipment of those had this problem, then i can GARANTEE you that this will work =)

Remember to buy the enclosure for the kind of HDD you use, if you use ATA, buy it for ATA, vice versa.

My enclosure cost aprox. 70 dollars, or 50 euros, but i live in like the second-most expensive country in the world, so go on ebay and get one for like 10 bucks or something.

I hope this helped!

Ebay link for an Enclosure:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/New-Black-USB-Exter...id=p3286.c0.m14

(I saw you are from australia )

This one is from hongkong, but W/E, you can find some other ones in there, there are tons of them. This one just cost 10 bucks, so i picked that one ;D

No problem!

Offline Cody

• Veteran Member
  • (stormlexer)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 04:46:27 AM »
Quote from: bluedagger
Quote from: godamit

Hey i can help you! I had kind of the same problem, my windows shit popped up and stayed like that forever, and sometimes it got black, and i got that beeping sound. Actually you can save everything on your old HDD, and maybe you dont even have to buy a new one! Go buy something called a "Harddisk Enclosure", take out your harddisk, put it in there, and onw your broken HDD is a USB drive! Then, go to some other computer, at your friends house for example, extract all you need, format the drive, insert it in your old computer and reinstall windows. That worked like a charm for me, i bought a new harddrive because i didnt think i could rely on my old, but my older brother did the same thing with my enclosure, and he is using his old HDD with NO problems! =)

Also, if your HDD is a maxtor 320 GB, a whole shipment of those had this problem, then i can GARANTEE you that this will work =)

Remember to buy the enclosure for the kind of HDD you use, if you use ATA, buy it for ATA, vice versa.

My enclosure cost aprox. 70 dollars, or 50 euros, but i live in like the second-most expensive country in the world, so go on ebay and get one for like 10 bucks or something.

I hope this helped!

Ebay link for an Enclosure:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/New-Black-USB-Exter...id=p3286.c0.m14

(I saw you are from australia )

This one is from hongkong, but W/E, you can find some other ones in there, there are tons of them. This one just cost 10 bucks, so i picked that one ;D

No problem!
I doubt if he tried to reinstall windows that it'd work...

Offline godamit

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 04:52:22 AM »
I guess I may give it a shot, thanks

And that HDD is 400GB. May be ATA, I've forgotten by now.

In case you are right SL, would you have any ideas? (not mocking you, lol)

Offline Cody

• Veteran Member
  • (stormlexer)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 05:05:10 AM »
My only other idea would to be buy an 80ish gb HD to see if it is the harddrive. You should be able to get a used 80gb one for basicly nothing now. Or if you're sure its the harddrive then go for a bigger size.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2008, 05:05:35 AM by StormLexer »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal