Author Topic: In-game flickering problem  (Read 4887 times)

Offline A maid

• Creator of Worlds
  • Defenestration penetration.
    • View Profile
In-game flickering problem
« on: October 08, 2011, 07:19:57 PM »
With my new card I got some shitty flickering problems in some games. In GTA IV I have some vehicle/pedestrian texture flickering problem, and in Crysis 2 a light flickering 'stroke' problem (as if it's a Velvet Matter overkill). (dunno why I said flickering there earlier)

I have tried to search about this, but you guys know I'm no good at that so you know what I mean. I haven't checked many other games as SA just runs fine, haven't opened VC yet.
Here's a screen of one of the games.

EDIT: forgot to mention that I get some weird blocks flickering in every video file I open with VLC, at SA's loading screens, VC's loading screens and a few seconds of playing VC mostly while playing in VC, accompanied by small framedrops.

Les specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
6GB RAM
XFX HD 6950 1GB
i7 920, 2.67 GHz

If you need any other specs lemme know. Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 04:52:56 AM by Mu-chan »

Offline Vegas

• View Profile
Re: In-game flickering problem
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 04:24:01 AM »
I had the same problem with SA when I stuffed it with mods... try updating drivers and DirectX

Offline Basium.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 04:36:02 AM »
Download the latest drivers, for ATI: www.amd.com
for Nvidia (Ge-force): www.nvidia.com

Hope that might work.  :P

Offline FELIX

• formerly known as Flava and cloudwalker
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 04:43:33 AM »
DON'T download the latest NVidia drivers!!!

It fucked my PC because their new installer is pure shit and I looked it up in the forum and tons of people have that problem too.

Don't do it.

Offline A maid

• Creator of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 04:46:49 AM »
Ah, forgot to mention this too lol, sorry. I already tried lots of drivers and tried DirectX 9 and 11, but nope. Will try 10 soon but I think I'm gonna have to find the directory of 11 which I installed first.

I think that's all I forgot to say.

Offline Vegas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 05:03:23 AM »
are only cars fucked up? I mean if buildings and other things bitch aswell

Offline A maid

• Creator of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 05:07:10 AM »
In IV, it's both cars and pedestrians (including Niko).
In SA, it's just CJ.
In VC, it's random parts on the screen as shown on the loading screen picture.

Offline Vegas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2011, 06:09:46 AM »
phew that's weird... did you overclock the card anyhow? Did it bitch with lower/lowest game settings? have you tried PTM on the game icon > Properties > Compatibility?

edit: are those weird block appearing when you scroll down on any webpage (or repeatedly scrolling up and down)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 06:12:10 AM by Vegas »

Offline Radioaktive

• Veteran Member
  • spinning faghorse
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2011, 06:12:26 AM »
your problem is you got an amd, probably a particularly shitty one considering it has half the ram of the reference 6950

you should overclock that cpu too, its gonna bottleneck any modern card pretty much,
edit:or at least starve cpu hungry games like bf3
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 06:14:17 AM by Radioaktive »

Offline A maid

• Creator of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 07:25:04 AM »
phew that's weird... did you overclock the card anyhow? Did it bitch with lower/lowest game settings? have you tried PTM on the game icon > Properties > Compatibility?

edit: are those weird block appearing when you scroll down on any webpage (or repeatedly scrolling up and down)
I've tried it on GTA IV but that only resulted in not starting the game in some compats. And it only happens in games. Desktop's just fine. Also I haven't overclocked it, and it didn't change anything at lower settings.

your problem is you got an amd, probably a particularly shitty one considering it has half the ram of the reference 6950

you should overclock that cpu too, its gonna bottleneck any modern card pretty much,
edit:or at least starve cpu hungry games like bf3
I hate to overclock things. Last time I did it years ago and I was gone for a few weeks, it went poof. Poor thing got burnt out.. but that was a 8600 GT. Let's talk this over on MSN.

Offline A maid

• Creator of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 11:38:27 AM »
Bump.

Offline A maid

• Creator of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2011, 05:46:04 AM »
Bump + tested Fallout 3. Random stuff is flickering white.

e:

Like this, but it flickers so fast it looks like there's much, much more.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 07:25:50 AM by Mu-chan »

Offline VaNilla

• next week m9
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2011, 07:32:32 AM »
Sounds like your graphics card is fucked up. These are common issues with an overheating graphics card, corrupt graphics drivers, virus infected systems and such. First advice: don't bother overclocking, it's not worth it for all the maintenance of your PC you'll have to do to keep it running smoothly; it's bragging rights for people who don't know how to buy the right hardware in the first place. In fact, overclocking is probably the worst thing you can do whilst your PC isn't running correctly. Overclocking will never lead to a reduction in problems. Secondly fully uninstall your AMD drivers and then install the latest stable release (don't bother with the BF3 beta drivers since the BF3 beta is over and the other improvements from those are minimal). Make sure you haven't installed any pirated software without scanning it for viruses, even those programs can only detect known causes anyway.

EDIT: I think the most likely thing is that your graphics card is faulty, but it might not even be correctly seated on the motherboard. Also make sure you've got a good enough PSU for all of your components, anything less than 750-800W wont be enough for this system. No offense to him but Radioaktive's advice would just fuck your PC up even more, do not listen to it.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 07:45:41 AM by Shadowsniper »

Offline Vegas

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2011, 08:22:34 AM »
yeah I would RMA the card asap... I don't think the card would need so much juice while running Vice City and thus I don't think it would overheat on Vice City

I have reached a PSU limit and no signs of it appeared on other components than the PSU

Offline A maid

• Creator of Worlds
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2011, 08:35:27 AM »
SS and I had a little chat and we got these possible causes:

-PSU (now 700w) doesn't have enough wattage (and I even got a new one.. bleh)
-GPU is faulty
-GPU/cables to it are not connected properly
-A virus, though it's very unlikely considering the software I got on this drive isn't really that.. 'dangerous'.

So I could try reconnecting the GPU myself and then checking or RMA the card. My thoughts right now: what a drag.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal