Author Topic: Freeplay  (Read 99030 times)

Offline Cooper

• Veteran Member
  • fumo porro meto drop bump
    • View Profile
Re: Freeplay
« Reply #345 on: September 12, 2023, 06:43:18 AM »
Freeplay is my passion

Offline Dannye

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Freeplay
« Reply #346 on: September 18, 2023, 05:34:42 AM »
Yeah having to work with longer replays that may contain many failed attempts can be kinda annoying, though hopefully its not a too-common occurrence these days? (With USCM always clearing the replay buffer on teleports triggered after bails, and now having the option to do that for all teleports - not sure how many people use the latter but I normally do).

My approach for dealing with such reps has been to enable fast-forward and use Shift+X to create breakpoints every so often while it plays (also being sure to have loopback enabled so the rep doesn't end unexpectedly [I have this auto-enabled via the settings file as I always prefer it on]), then once I realise we've finally hit the important part I can jump-backwards to the most recent breakpoint and work from there (potentially narrowing it down further subsequently if needed, and taking note of the frame number if I think I'll need to do it again later). Still quite inconvenient I admit, but its something at least, and can be done with just one playback.

Regarding the frame-counter colouring idea: I do quite like that as a concept, but indeed it does seem that making it based on custom data baked into the rep and/or coordinates could be problematic, so the best I can imagine is maybe a version where its based on how far through the total rep you are (eg. green for first third of a rep, orange for second third, red for last third), though even then I'm not immediately sure if that's something I can do, and ofcourse that doesn't necessarily relate to when the stunt occurs.

Regarding starting/jumping to a point within a rep: Yeah ideally the ability to jump around to different parts of a replay (currently done via breakpoints [and kinda has to be, else I'd have trouble with conflicts between it and breakpoints/frame-tracking]) would be more flexible such that you could jump to any breakpoint at any time during playback, and thus if you had one setup at your desired starting point (either added during a prior playback, or loaded via a frep-rep file [which can always be trimmed down to contain solely the breakpoints definition line, and thus affect nothing else when loaded]) you could immediately go there after starting playback. Unfortunately I'm not sure that the way replay progress is tracked in freeplay vs the game plays too nice with that, hence the added need to first reach/pass the point in the active playback naturally before being allowed to jump there - I'd love to remove this restriction, but I am not too confident in being able to do so.

I'll be sure to keep pondering this stuff.
Cheers for all the feedback and kind words guys!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal