Author Topic: Need help  (Read 3819 times)

Offline Kingjad

• Veteran Member
  • Fat Bastard
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
Need help
« on: October 16, 2015, 04:14:19 PM »
Hey guys, I need some help deciding something.

I want to play games like Rocket League. Do I buy a PS4, an Xbox One or a gaming laptop? I currently am still rocking with my Xbox 360, and my current PC hasn't got a good enough graphics card to run Rocket League (and since graphics cards can be a bit pricey in themselves, it'd be better probably just to get a brand new modern gaming laptop instead of trying to boost my old PC to meet current standards).

But the Xbox One and the PS4 are probable cheaper alternatives. So feedback would be appreciated folks?

Something to keep in mind is that I'm not actually too active in playing many games, I still have Xbox 360 and I use it only for FIFA 14 and GTA V. If I had a current-gen console, I'd likely get new version of GTA and Rocket League, but that'd probably be about it - laptop option is open to getting older games too.

So feedback would be appreciated guys, your previous King from yesteryear's been very out the loop on such matters and wants to reign supreme in Rocket League (for a game I've never played I know I'd enjoy it haha).

Offline bLADE

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Re: Need help
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 05:59:42 PM »
PS4  :ajaja:

Offline PM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 03:28:08 AM »
I would say that most of GTAS guys moved on to PC in these modern games. So if you also want to play with some of us, it's better if you get a new PC. And for me PC was always more comfortable, I'm not a console guy. I had an old crap PC (20fps in V), made some money, bought a second-hand one for 580€ and now I'm running V in high details at 100fps. A brand new gaming laptop will cost you a fortune, but you will find a great-enough PC at bazaar for sure. :)

Offline PawNLighT

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 10:52:58 AM »
I would say that most of GTAS guys moved on to PC in these modern games. So if you also want to play with some of us, it's better if you get a new PC. And for me PC was always more comfortable, I'm not a console guy. I had an old crap PC (20fps in V), made some money, bought a second-hand one for 580� and now I'm running V in high details at 100fps. A brand new gaming laptop will cost you a fortune, but you will find a great-enough PC at bazaar for sure. :)
Your the first guy I've ever heard that bought his pc at a bazaar.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 10:55:07 AM by PawNLighT »

Offline NEM

• wasteland heroes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 10:56:09 AM »
Slovakia is full of surprises :Disgusted:

Offline waNEr

• ok
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2015, 11:21:22 AM »
PC master race, do not become a peasant  :Disgusted:

Offline Rusch69

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2015, 06:59:14 PM »
waNEr's right actually.

What's your current PC hardware setup? Assuming you could re-use some parts again - upgrading would be my suggestion.
Even though the current gen consoles were released in 2013 (?), they're already waaaaaay behind and rather match a low-mid range desktop.
Laptop devices are also crap from a price/performance perspective. That's only an option if mobility is necessary for you.

A desktop PC is always the bang for the buck solution in my eyes.

Offline Kingjad

• Veteran Member
  • Fat Bastard
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2015, 07:08:01 PM »

Offline morbidxxx

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2015, 07:27:40 PM »
I have almost the same setup only with GTX 550 Ti and I even can run V on medium settings. I guess upgrading graphics card would be cheaper, but nothing can beat laying down on a couch and playing ps4  :P

Offline Kingjad

• Veteran Member
  • Fat Bastard
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2015, 07:52:46 PM »
What graphics card would be good to get though? Aren't the good ones +£100?

Offline Rusch69

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2015, 08:29:58 PM »
What's your budget? (in € if possible)

Your rig is outdated and the CPU would possibly be a bottleneck in some cases. Most games are rather GPU intensive tho. Are you running DDR2 or DDR3 RAM (the LGA775 socket supports both - depends on your mainboard)?
However, there's also useful GPUs that still can be paired with it.

A GPU + RAM upgrade is an option, assuming low visuals will be fine to you. Consoles won't look any better anyway. Especially used components could make a great bargain.

Personally I'd go with a reliable low/mid tier PC instead of a console any day of the week. You could still use an Xbox 360 controller for FIFA or V without issues if you want a console alike experience.

The Wattage of your power supply could also be an important factor for choosing a proper GPU in order to keep costs low.

This answer + correction took me way too much, too drunk for this shit atm. :lol:

Offline Lex

• No longer active
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2015, 09:59:41 PM »
This answer + correction took me way too much, too drunk for this shit atm. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Offline Kingjad

• Veteran Member
  • Fat Bastard
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2015, 04:58:40 AM »
Are you running DDR2 or DDR3 RAM (the LGA775 socket supports both - depends on your mainboard)?
However, there's also useful GPUs that still can be paired with it.
This part hurt my head.

Anyways, I think a budget of under 400 euros for a desktop could be a good way to go if possible. I wouldn't want to go higher, especially as the consoles are gonna drop in price soon enough too. I want to enjoy some more modern games but I'm still very much a recreational gamer, playing maybe an hour a day to chill.

Offline Rusch69

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2015, 06:19:17 AM »
Oh well I just could've googled for the "imedia s3720" model name in order to find most of the needed info/specs. :cheersad:
I wasn't able to find out what mainboard model is installed. Also I have no clue what the RAM's clock & timings are. Wattage of the power supply also remains unknown for now.
Download CPU-Z and provide screenshots of the "Mainboard" and "Memory" tabs like so please.

Offline Lex

• No longer active
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2015, 06:58:18 AM »
I died

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal