Author Topic: Another normal-game way to get 'Remembered' vehicles  (Read 1107 times)

Offline Dannye

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
Another normal-game way to get 'Remembered' vehicles
« on: November 28, 2020, 06:06:11 PM »
(Apologies if this is old news, it was new to me and I found it interesting)

From my recollection the main concept behind using 'remembered'/'spooshed' vehicles in stunts (thus being able to have a 3rd vehicle involved, for example) came from the fact that certain mission-specific vehicles were set to never despawn, right?

I was watching a Vice City speedrun the other day and noticed the use of a different way to 'remember' vehicles. It seems that if you shoot a car so the driver gets scared and hops out (hoping they aren't the ped type to stay in and just drive away instead), then you press F1 right as they are in the middle of that get-out animation, the game gets confused and never despawns the vehicle.

There are some quirks however - you cannot get in (or out!) of the vehicle via the door the ped used to get out from, so the best approach seems to be pulling up in your vehicle right up against their driver-side door before drive-by shooting at it, so they will be forced to get out their passenger side, and thus the car remains accessible to the player. You can even keep doing it and have quite a few remembered at once (I tested it out and had 4 going, in addition to my 2 normal vehicles), and it seems speedrunners may even make use of this to help clog up memory so there's less traffic on the roads.

I'm not entirely sure why I am posting this, I guess it's just cool to see another normal-game-behaviour way of achieving remembered cars as justification for using them via scms/mods. Plus this way is potentially even more flexible than the mission-specific vehicles approach, as it is pretty much open to any car (sadly it needs to have doors, so bikes are out for this) that peds can drive.

Offline Lex

• No longer active
    • View Profile
Re: Another normal-game way to get 'Remembered' vehicles
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2020, 06:34:08 PM »
Don't know if this can be applied to SA but let's try

Offline Krypton

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2020, 07:36:45 PM »
As cool as this find is (Thanks for sharing Dannye) its equally as cool people are still speed running this game as well as stunting it. Goes to show even when we think we know the game inside and out, theres still so much more to learn.

But this is news to me, very clever find! Did you notice any reduction in traffic when you tested it out?

Offline Jason

• V.I.P. Member
  • Grains in the hourglass.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2020, 11:23:37 PM »

Offline Dannye

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2020, 11:24:03 PM »
As cool as this find is (Thanks for sharing Dannye) its equally as cool people are still speed running this game as well as stunting it. Goes to show even when we think we know the game inside and out, theres still so much more to learn.

But this is news to me, very clever find! Did you notice any reduction in traffic when you tested it out?
Absolutely, and the runs I've seen have been quite fun to watch too (by a speedrunner called KZ_FREW, one from AGDQ 2019 and another SGDQ 2020). Its also very cool to see that the Replay functionality we rely on as stunters is also so integral for speedrunning tricks.

I ended up stopping after the 4 remembered vehicles and hadn't noticed any affect on traffic density, so I'm not sure exactly how many it might take to properly reduce it. Perhaps that side effect is more apparent in speedrunning due to other shenanigans they do (duplicating missions and whatnot) also chewing up memory.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal