Author Topic: Max Payne 3 releases tonight in North America!  (Read 5511 times)

Offline AJ Collins

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • RockstarNexus
Max Payne 3 releases tonight in North America!
« on: May 14, 2012, 04:22:06 PM »
The next big thing from Rockstar is finally almost upon us. Tomorrow marks the console release of Max Payne 3 in North America and then on the 18th Max will be out across the pond. (PC users will have to wait till the 29th in NA or June 1st in the UK) There are a number of midnight launches going on at GameStop and Walmart stores across both the US and Canada. You can find your nearest store using the locator on Rockstar's website. If you're going to be picking up Max, be sure to register on the Rockstar Social Club and then join our very own GTAStunting crew!

Offline Determined

• Pro Coral Collector
  • Veteran Member
  • Pridestalker
    • View Profile
    • Determined's YT Acc
Re: Max Payne 3 releases tonight in North America!
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 05:06:49 PM »
Fuck, I'm outta cash!  :|

Offline Beat

• d(^---^)b
  • Wasteland Heroes
    • View Profile
    • Beat's YouTube page.
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 05:17:48 PM »

Offline Sleixe

• Veteran Member
  • Tommehh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 10:24:37 PM »
Shit, i just bought microsoft points for 50€, now i ain't got money for this. :(

Offline A maid

• Creator of Worlds
  • Defenestration penetration.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 08:47:59 AM »
Yar. :ninja:

Offline Determined

• Pro Coral Collector
  • Veteran Member
  • Pridestalker
    • View Profile
    • Determined's YT Acc
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 09:16:27 AM »

Offline Rainbow

• Coeur de taxi
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/Rainbowstunting
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 09:20:33 AM »
Am I a bad person because I never played this? Must I assume it is epic in most ways?

Offline Determined

• Pro Coral Collector
  • Veteran Member
  • Pridestalker
    • View Profile
    • Determined's YT Acc
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 09:22:23 AM »
The prequels?
They pretty much invented the bullet time action & cinematics you see in almost every action/fps game nowadays.

Offline Cookie

• Veteran Member
  • om nom nom
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 11:15:13 AM »
Dont think ive ever played one of the other games  :lol:
But I will get this for sure.

Offline Determined

• Pro Coral Collector
  • Veteran Member
  • Pridestalker
    • View Profile
    • Determined's YT Acc
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 08:41:00 PM »
 :hmm: After seeing the opening cutscene I must admit that I'm thoroughly disappointed... The script is fucking horrible, it completely lacks the subtlety & ambiance its prequels had & the editing is outright painful to look at, seems like they just hired someone who only knows how to fuck around with layers & stupid color effects, while he fails to deliver a decent atmosphere. The only thing that salvages it is the original soundtrack, but only because of the nostalgic value it has.

I'm sure the gameplay & graphics are still top notch but it seems that the storytelling element of the game is an absolute trainwreck.

Offline AJ Collins

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • RockstarNexus
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 09:02:52 PM »
:hmm: After seeing the opening cutscene I must admit that I'm thoroughly disappointed... The script is fucking horrible, it completely lacks the subtlety & ambiance its prequels had & the editing is outright painful to look at, seems like they just hired someone who only knows how to fuck around with layers & stupid color effects, while he fails to deliver a decent atmosphere. The only thing that salvages it is the original soundtrack, but only because of the nostalgic value it has.

I'm sure the gameplay & graphics are still top notch but it seems that the storytelling element of the game is an absolute trainwreck.
I wouldn't base your entire opinion just on the opening cutscene of the game. The game slowly reveals why and how Max's character and his world has changed.

Offline Determined

• Pro Coral Collector
  • Veteran Member
  • Pridestalker
    • View Profile
    • Determined's YT Acc
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 09:04:53 PM »
I am not saying the story itself is bad, I'm saying the way it is presented is very annoying & outright childish.

Offline Beat

• d(^---^)b
  • Wasteland Heroes
    • View Profile
    • Beat's YouTube page.
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 02:10:14 AM »
I am not saying the story itself is bad, I'm saying the way it is presented is very annoying & outright childish.

I've seen other parts of the game and the storytelling definitely takes a turn from the first mission in the game, I don't know why the opening is like that but it gets the point across, the opening is basically everything Max in 3 minutes. So, good job I think.

Offline VaNilla

• next week m9
  • Veteran Member
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2012, 04:32:31 AM »
Negatives

• Despite Rockstar's marketing, the single player is a definitely a cover based game. 99% of the time shootdodging could have been fun, but it's not. Why? Because the enemies are so powerful, and because they're constantly sticking to cover. It would have been more fun if the difficulty had been balanced so you could shootdodge/run-and-gun your way through each part of the game.
  • Story was somewhat predictable, and sometimes too far fetched.
  • Lack of variety in progression (go to this room, go to next).
  • Minor bugs (mainly rare audio skipping).
  • Golden guns heavily break the pacing, and the game design works against you when trying to find them. If you're making a linear shooter, don't bore me by making me check every single corner of the level before I progress into the next section of the map.

Positives

Everything else! This game was awesome, I've never played a game that felt quite so cinematic. And any problems I had with the cover based nature of Single Player was alieviated by the multiplayer mode. The whole game is great. And mechanically, it's the most polished game Rockstar has ever published. However just in terms of gameplay variety, this game doesn't match up to other Rockstar games from this generation. GTA IV and Red Dead Redemption are simply more interesting to play, especially from a story perspective.

If Red Dead Redemption was a 10/10 and GTA IV was a 9.5/10, I'd have to give Max Payne an 8.5/10 for the single player, and 9.5/10 for the multiplayer.

Offline AJ Collins

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • RockstarNexus
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2012, 06:38:21 AM »
Negatives

• Despite Rockstar's marketing, the single player is a definitely a cover based game. 99% of the time shootdodging could have been fun, but it's not. Why? Because the enemies are so powerful, and because they're constantly sticking to cover. It would have been more fun if the difficulty had been balanced so you could shootdodge/run-and-gun your way through each part of the game.
  • Story was somewhat predictable, and sometimes too far fetched.
  • Lack of variety in progression (go to this room, go to next).
  • Minor bugs (mainly rare audio skipping).
  • Golden guns heavily break the pacing, and the game design works against you when trying to find them. If you're making a linear shooter, don't bore me by making me check every single corner of the level before I progress into the next section of the map.

Positives

Everything else! This game was awesome, I've never played a game that felt quite so cinematic. And any problems I had with the cover based nature of Single Player was alieviated by the multiplayer mode. The whole game is great. And mechanically, it's the most polished game Rockstar has ever published. However just in terms of gameplay variety, this game doesn't match up to other Rockstar games from this generation. GTA IV and Red Dead Redemption are simply more interesting to play, especially from a story perspective.

If Red Dead Redemption was a 10/10 and GTA IV was a 9.5/10, I'd have to give Max Payne an 8.5/10 for the single player, and 9.5/10 for the multiplayer.
On PC, I found myself rarely using cover for the three levels we played but on consoles I was using cover a lot more. It's an issue with consoles having the lack of precision controls that PCs have. I have yet to have "audio skipping" and I've beaten it on 360 and about half-way on PS3. I do agree about the golden guns but I guess it's better than having to buy them as DLC (Red Dead Redemption).

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal