Author Topic: 1.19/1.20 Stunting Changes (X360, PS3) & 1.05/1.06 Stunting Changes (PS4, XO)  (Read 3784 times)

Offline VaNilla

• next week m9
  • Board Mods
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
Now that the second major update for PS4 and Xbox One has been released, with major fixes to stunting related issues (like turbo and BMX physics), it's finally worth making a topic about stunting related changes. Title Update 1.19/1.05 includes changes for X360/PS3, and specific changes for PS4/XO. I will be testing X360/PS3 first, to get the simplest and most relevant set of information out as soon as possible. PS4/XO information will follow shortly afterwards, including analysis of all the new vehicles exclusive to returning players, and limited edition vehicles from X360/PS3.

Note: Title Update 1.18 changed nothing on last gen consoles, hence the skip. Additionally, turbo had previously been broken on PS4/XO since release, so testing the new vehicles for returning players would have been counter-productive. The PS4/XO versions are now stable enough for me to invest the time into analysing them against the X360/PS3 versions of the game.

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/52367/the-gta-online-festive-surprise#comments
https://support.rockstargames.com/hc/en-us/articles/204380973--12-18-14-GTAV-Title-Update-1-19-PS3-Xbox-360-1-05-PS4-Xbox-One-

UPDATE (23rd December 2014): GTA V 1.20 has just been released for X360/PS3, and GTA V 1.06 for PS4/XO. This comes just five days after the release GTA V 1.19/1.05. Will be testing 1.20 on last gen consoles to find any changes soon, and with regards to current gen consoles, the topic will now refer to GTA V 1.06 instead.

UPDATE 2: Fully tested GTA V 1.06. Definitely just online related bug fixes, nothing stunting related. All my findings from 1.05 still apply (coming very soon).

UPDATE 3: Fully tested GTA V 1.20. Much like 1.06 on PS4/XO, stunting is exactly the same as the previous patch. Seemingly just online fixes.

GTA V 1.19/1.20 Stunting Changes (X360, PS3)

Having tested just about every type of stunting (including every single note from the 1.15 Stunting Changes thread), and every type of vehicle in the game, I can confirm that for the most part, stunting remains exactly the same in GTA V 1.19 on Xbox 360 and PS3 :D. However, there's a few nagging issues that have been introduced with the latest update, ranging from menial to extremely frustrating.

• When making a boat race in the content creator, boost pickups can no longer be placed on land. The game forces you to place them on water. Boat wallrides like those from SUPERNUVA are no longer possible. Honestly, this doesn't bother me too much. You had to exploit the ability to place boosts on flat surfaces to place them up solid walls in the first place, so it doesn't strike me as an issue that Rockstar decided to remove it. I don't think it improves the game in any way, but it doesn't significantly worsen stunting either. This is pretty minor on the list of updates.
  • When turning left/right on Motorbikes and Bicycles, ghosting begins to register after releasing the analogue stick to a neutral position. To disambiguate that statement; if you let go of the stick after holding it towards the left or right, you will keep moving in that direction for about half a second, before the game recognises you've stopped moving to the left or right. However, this only happens while travelling at medium/high speeds (relative to the max speed of the respective vehicle). So, you need to be tapping the pedal button on a BMX/Scorcher/Cruiser (or holding the right trigger all the way down on a motorbike) for this bug to happen. The bug doesn't happen while pedaling slowly on bicycles, or driving very slowly on motorbikes. Additionally, this can actually be avoided by gradually returning the analogue stick to a neutral position, so it's not really a big issue while stunting, unless you have to let go of the stick (as with gliding). Finally, this doesn't happen in other types of vehicles, doesn't happen while leaning forwards/backwards, and is unique to GTA V 1.19.

Now onto the big stuff. Steering weight/traction remains the same across all types of vehicles... except for motorbikes. The first thing I noticed upon loading GTA V 1.19 is how heavily motorbikes steer in the latest update :sleep:. I set out to prove this by grandfathering my testing methodology from GTA V 1.15, and applying it to all types of ground vehicles in GTA V 1.19.

GTA V 1.00/1.18 vs GTA V 1.19 - Steering Weight and Traction (X360/PS3)

To complete this test, I bought stock vehicles from Legendary Motorsport and Southern San Andreas Super Autos, and maxed out all performance modifications on each vehicle (brakes, engine, transmission and turbo). I used the same type of weather with approximately the same time of day in each recording, in order to prevent the weather from influencing my results. Made sure to avoid damaging the vehicles, and made sure my driving and stamina statistics were maxed out.

Using textures on the ground, I took exactly the same runup with each vehicle, and started the turning circles at the exact same position. I completed two full turning circles in each vehicle, and timed how long it took each vehicle to complete these turning circles, across both GTA V 1.00/1.18 and GTA V 1.19. All results are 100% frame accurate, analysed frame by frame in Adobe Premiere Pro.

As you can see, motorbikes steer much more heavily than they did in GTA V 1.00/1.18, while cars and bicycles remain unchanged. This is really frustrating, because not only does it make driving motorbikes feel very clunky, but it's also significantly more difficult to change direction while gliding motorbikes :(. At least gliding remains the same as 1.00/1.18 across all types of vehicles!

Moving onto the new vehicles, both of the new sports cars are great improvements upon the original models! The Dewbauchee Massacro (Racecar Livery) is said to have the same statistics as the previous model, but the "handling.meta" files tell a different story. According to data released by funmw2 on GTAForums, the new Massacro has slightly better traction than the previous model. The Dinka Jester (Racecar Livery) has slightly better acceleration/traction than the original model, but as shown by funmw2, also has a slightly more powerful handbrake. The new sports cars outclass the original models in every way, and give the previously dominant Elegy a good run for its money ;). I'd advise waiting on in depth track testing from Broughy1322 before making your mind up on the racing performance of these vehicles, but when it comes to stunting with the slow motion ability, they're not particularly useful. Right now, my personal favourite is the Massacro Racer, because the improved traction really helps it to close out the tiny gap between the Elegy and itself.

Rockstar also released two new muscle cars with the latest update. Both the Bravado Rat-Truck and the Vapid Slamvan handle very similarly, and in this case, that's not a good thing. They're not nearly quick enough to compete with other muscle cars in races, and they're far too slow/heavy to be used for stunting. Generally speaking, these two vehicles handle like boats, and the brakes are severely under-powered on both vehicles. The Slamvan may have slightly higher acceleration than the Rat-Truck, but the Rat-Truck makes up the difference with much better braking/traction during races. With that said, I wouldn't recommend using either of these vehicles for races or stunting. Despite this, they're both fun to drive around, and each vehicle has a large compartment in the back that could be used to carry around multiplayer friends, for stunting or otherwise.

All in all, it's really frustrating that Rockstar screwed up the handling of motorbikes again. However, it's not a huge issue in the grand scheme of things; you can simply get around it by controlling your bike with greater care. Knowing Rockstar's vigilance, I'm sure this will be fixed as soon as possible. I'll be making them aware of the issues I've found shortly.

UPDATE (23rd December 2014): GTA V 1.20 has just been released for X360/PS3. Fully tested, and it's exactly the same as GTA V 1.19 for stunting. Much like GTA V 1.06 on PS4/XO, it's just fixes for GTA Online.

GTA V 1.05/1.06 Stunting Changes (PS4, XO)

Coming soon...

UPDATE (10th March 2014): Will include this section in the heists update thread instead. Fully researched the patch when it came out, but Rockstar let me know that fixes were in the works, so I've decided to hold off on publishing my findings for now.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 06:22:21 PM by VaNilla »

Offline FishyDizzle

• Freestyle Renegade
    • View Profile
    • YoutubeChannel:
Re: 1.19 Stunting Changes (X360, PS3) & 1.05 Stunting Changes (PS4, XO)
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 04:32:11 PM »
Excellent.Following on from when we talked this morning it appears that the backflip speed on the bmx is still in the slower state but overall character feels lighter.Obviously I just do this by feel so am really interested to see your findings.Seems like a step in the right direction to repair the bmx but I just hope its not left at that.

Offline VaNilla

• next week m9
  • Board Mods
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 05:46:00 PM »
Found a few issues so far on last gen. Nothing major on a grand scale, but very annoying. Additionally found a stealth fix with regards to boats and content creator. Full notes on last gen coming tomorrow once I've had time to record video data and expand upon time data to show what I've found.

UPDATE: Done, current gen notes coming soon :cheernutz:.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 08:51:03 AM by VaNilla »

Offline RedX

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 02:24:56 AM »
You're doing gods work here, attaboy!

E: must've been some other fella, R.4GE, I've never played WoS!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 10:17:15 AM by RedX »

Offline R.4GE

• iAmARISTO
    • View Profile
    • RAGEHDTV
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 06:53:44 AM »
He's truely a god :P
And RedX i do remember you stunting on WoS with me ages ago .. :O

Offline TurBo

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 10:32:32 AM »

VIDEO COMING SOON.

Coming soon...

:Vid nextweek:

sorry had to.

Anyways, nice work in there, I still wonder when they're going to bring the PC version eventhough VC is my main stunting ground lol.

Offline Viper

• Veteran Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 04:43:01 PM »
We seriously shouldn't have to deal with physics changes. Complete bullshit. You aren't guaranteed the $60+ game you buy off the shelf. We buy a beta and it gets changed over time for better or for worse. Paul you deserve some compensation for all this work you put in... You obviously didn't anticipate this when you bought GTA!

Offline VaNilla

• next week m9
  • Board Mods
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 11:48:19 PM »
Motorbike steering weight/traction video is up.

GTA V 1.00/1.18 vs GTA V 1.19 - Steering Weight and Traction (X360/PS3)

Now that all work related to last gen is complete, I'll begin testing GTA V 1.05 on the PS4 as soon as possible :). You can upvote the visibility of this issue on Reddit by clicking the following link.

http://www.reddit.com/r/GrandTheftAutoV/comments/2pvc6x/psa_motorbikes_steer_much_more_heavily_now_on_gta/
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 12:17:09 AM by VaNilla »

Offline VaNilla

• next week m9
  • Board Mods
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 03:35:01 AM »
Rockstar just released two new updates while I was testing the PS4 version. They've released 1.20 for X360/PS3, and 1.06 for PS4/XO. Topic will now refer to these updates instead.

Offline R.4GE

• iAmARISTO
    • View Profile
    • RAGEHDTV
Re: 1.19/1.20 Stunting Changes (X360, PS3) & 1.06 Stunting Changes (PS4, XO)
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 05:52:38 AM »
Waiting ...

Offline VaNilla

• next week m9
  • Board Mods
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
Fully tested GTA V 1.06. Definitely just online related bug fixes, nothing stunting related. All my findings from 1.05 still apply. Testing last gen patch now, and the current gen findings are coming soon. They've changed quite a lot of things related to handling on PS4/XO, so it's taking longer than anticipated to collect my research (mostly good things in terms of general gameplay, but a few absolutely terrible changes in terms of stunting).

UPDATE: 1.20 hasn't been released for 360 yet, will check it a bit later.
UPDATE 2: It's out, testing.
UPDATE 3: Tested. Much like 1.06 on PS4/XO, stunting is exactly the same as the previous patch. Seemingly just online fixes.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 02:15:39 AM by VaNilla »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal